Cordwood Wanted Buckinhamshire

defender tipper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Guys, 

I've been lurking for a while looking for freebies (don't we all want it for free?!!) and I'm kinda resigned to having to pay for any decent cordwood. So, I live in Bicester and have been looking where I could get some and was happy to stumble on this post and hope that Chewit21 and Nick can deliver to me.

FTR I am in a small village just outside Bicester with fair to good access. I certainly wouldn't want an arctic rocking up in front of my place but up to 18 tonners deliver on our road regularly.

Also if you could advise what should I expect to pay for a half load of cordwood I would be very grateful?

Edited by leelag1968

On 16/05/2019 at 10:31, leelag1968 said:

Hi Guys, 

I've been lurking for a while looking for freebies (don't we all want it for free?!!) and I'm kinda resigned to having to pay for any decent cordwood. So, I live in Bicester and have been looking where I could get some and was happy to stumble on this post and hope that Chewit21 and Nick can deliver to me.

FTR I am in a small village just outside Bicester with fair to good access. I certainly wouldn't want an arctic rocking up in front of my place but up to 18 tonners deliver on our road regularly.

Also if you could advise what should I expect to pay for a half load of cordwood I would be very grateful?

Welcome to the forum.

Questions,  How are you going to cut it down to a usable size ?, do you have access to a processor and tractor or are you planning to cut it up using a chainsaw and splitting axe ?.  If so by the time you do that it would probably be better to pay someone a bit of profit and have it delivered either fresh cut and needing seasoning or ready to use.  There is not a lot of money in firewood believe me.  Doing things that way you get to keep all your fingers etc.

Think about it,  if an Arb guy is taking a tree down there is a whole queue of people wanting the timber especially if its decent quality.   The home owner,  next door, his mate or kids.  Its not that often that tree surgeons have timber to take away these days although when they do its usually a lot.

A

A

12 hours ago, Alycidon said:

Welcome to the forum.

Questions,  How are you going to cut it down to a usable size ?, do you have access to a processor and tractor or are you planning to cut it up using a chainsaw and splitting axe ?.  If so by the time you do that it would probably be better to pay someone a bit of profit and have it delivered either fresh cut and needing seasoning or ready to use.  There is not a lot of money in firewood believe me.  Doing things that way you get to keep all your fingers etc.

Think about it,  if an Arb guy is taking a tree down there is a whole queue of people wanting the timber especially if its decent quality.   The home owner,  next door, his mate or kids.  Its not that often that tree surgeons have timber to take away these days although when they do its usually a lot.

A

A

Thanks Alycidon,

I used to be a tree surgeon in my youth and I know I'm not as young anymore but I want to manually process my firewood, stack it myself and enjoy the fruits of my labour etc and maybe even get a bit fitter into the bargain! I'm certainly not in it for the money and have ample storage room for the seasoning logs. Have had pre-seasoned and fresh delivered in the past but I just want to do it myself (well with help!) this time.

So, yes we would be using chainsaws and splitting maul and axes. (My neighbours who all process their own firewood too would be helping so wouldn't be alone to reduce risk of injury etc. I've seen far too many injuries over the years to risk life and limb).

The reason for my original question was that I had been thinking and realised just how popular an Arb guy's timber is hence biting the bullet and trying to source a decent supply of cordwood and I am most definitely not looking to set up my own firewood business! Back in the day every thing that we cut we took away with us, so I should have known better!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, leelag1968 said:

Thanks Alycidon,

I used to be a tree surgeon in my youth and I know I'm not as young anymore but I want to manually process my firewood, stack it myself and enjoy the fruits of my labour etc and maybe even get a bit fitter into the bargain! I'm certainly not in it for the money and have ample storage room for the seasoning logs. Have had pre-seasoned and fresh delivered in the past but I just want to do it myself (well with help!) this time.

So, yes we would be using chainsaws and splitting maul and axes. (My neighbours who all process their own firewood too would be helping so wouldn't be alone to reduce risk of injury etc. I've seen far too many injuries over the years to risk life and limb).

The reason for my original question was that I had been thinking and realised just how popular an Arb guy's timber is hence biting the bullet and trying to source a decent supply of cordwood and I am most definitely not looking to set up my own firewood business! Back in the day every thing that we cut we took away with us, so I should have known better!!

You could try listing yourself as a tip site here https://arbtalk.co.uk/recycling

It might be worth asking for arb waste rather than cord wood.  I process wood for my own fire with chainsaw and axe, I'd estimate about 5 cube of 9" stacked logs last year.  OK you can't be fussy about the type of wood you get but it is much cheaper than cord wood.

I contacted local tree surgeons and yes some have their own log businesses so don't get any left overs but not all do.  Now on my second year of sourcing logs like this and I get more than I need from a single local chap who does a mixture of landscaping and tree surgery.    He drops it off if he is passing on the way home from a job.  As a result I get a lot of softwood from back gardens and maybe 1 in 5 loads of something better like Cherry or Eucalyptus.  For the price I can not argue though.