Tool thefts

dumper

In Japan,
You see everyone's bicycle is locked up with the tiniest little plastic lock.
But every bicycle is stamped with a registration number.
Random spot checks by police.
You are looking at serious time for stealing a bike if caught.
Works in Japan...
[emoji848]

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

In Japan,
You see everyone's bicycle is locked up with the tiniest little plastic lock.
But every bicycle is stamped with a registration number.
Random spot checks by police.
You are looking at serious time for stealing a bike if caught.
Works in Japan...
emoji848.png

It does and many old people take advantage of that to get a cosy 2 yrs inside, as their pensions are crap. K 

I was talking to a retired copper who said the police don't have a national database! So if your kit is nicked in Suffolk then moved to Cambridgeshire and recovered by plod they can only check it there. And need to send information requests to other forces if they think its come from outside the county. 

There never was a dedicated national database but forces could always check with each other if they wanted.

Nowadays www.immobilise.com is the national database that Police and other law enforcement agencies use, along with Arbsafe, National Plant Register etc.

So get your stuff personally identified and on a database.  If it's nicked the chances of recovery are small, I accept that.  If you haven't recorded it the chances of recovery are as good as nil.

Your call.

Sorry to sound preachy; I just wanted to make the point that identifiable property can be picked up by any Police Force.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

Cutting down on where they can be sold would help.

You can't sell a shotgun on internet sites nor at car boot fairs,

same should be for chainsaws.

If we can take away the easy access of secondhand gear, you'll

take away a good majority of the theft, not all granted.

You don't need a permit to use a chainsaw or secure storage verified by the authorities. If you had a lockable cupboard for saws they would be a lot harder to steal. 

On 06/02/2019 at 10:00, Dan said:

I was talking to a retired copper who said the police don't have a national database! So if your kit is nicked in Suffolk then moved to Cambridgeshire and recovered by plod they can only check it there. And need to send information requests to other forces if they think its come from outside the county. 

The police do know about arbsafe though and have checked it when they recover stolen goods. Doesn't take long to register and it's free! 

Most thefts I hear of are when people have left gear in their truck, whether it's because they have just nipped to the shop, left them in the truck while in a rear garden or it's been a long day in work and they forgot to unload the truck when they got home. Too many opportunist thieves about, try not to give them that opportunity.

10 hours ago, peatff said:

You don't need a permit to use a chainsaw or secure storage verified by the authorities. If you had a lockable cupboard for saws they would be a lot harder to steal. 

My chainsaws were in a lockable cabinet called a workshop, with 2 padlocks and mortice lock, they cut the hand brake cable to the vehicle blocking the door and dragged it out of the way, cut hinge pins out, ripped outer door and inner door off and walked off with chainsaws, bars, chains etc to the tune of £7.5k.

The police response was, "it's not something we'd be bothered about but you can have a crime number"

So, clearly a lockable cupboard doesn't make it harder to steal!

3 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

My chainsaws were in a lockable cabinet called a workshop, with 2 padlocks and mortice lock, they cut the hand brake cable to the vehicle blocking the door and dragged it out of the way, cut hinge pins out, ripped outer door and inner door off and walked off with chainsaws, bars, chains etc to the tune of £7.5k.

The police response was, "it's not something we'd be bothered about but you can have a crime number"

So, clearly a lockable cupboard doesn't make it harder to steal!

.... I bet if said stolen saw was used in a pub brawl, they would be more interested. K