New replacement 4x4 pickup

wicklamulla

51 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I’m constantly on the lookout for my perfect truck but everything seems to be a compromise in one way or another. Not big enough load bed, big enough load bed but no tool storage/family unfriendly. Wouldn’t want to chuck a load of money away on depreciation so that rules out new trucks- plus far too tarty for my line of work. 

what did you go for in the end Ken?

My perfect truck- 

3.5t towing- preferably not squeezed out of a tiny engine.

decent long bed-

6ft minimum to get stakes, digger buckets and materials in.

Internal storage for drills/saws tools.

family friendly ie can put the little one in the back somewhere.

is there such a thing?

Only an American pickup I think.

• Like 1

@Matthew Storrs  i went for tried and trusted as i already have an old Isuzu from year 2000 (owned it fer nigh on 11 years now) so i bought a fresher 2002 model.

It is almost identical to my old one but the silver one is near mint and less than 68k from new,  plenty of old MOT history to back up the condition and mileage plus the seller has known it from new,  he is a mechanic.

This truck is ***mint*** underneath as it was waxoyled from day one and it is on par with a 12 month old truck as regards corrosion. He sold it as he wants a more economical dedicated works van like a Vivaro / Transit etc. 

It's a job to know what to buy sometimes but a Yank truck with a gert big enjun wood be great but they are a bit too large size wise.

I was gonna buy a used Double cab Hilux Invincible or Isuzu Rodeo but i reckon i have literally saved myself £9000 -- £12000 by opting for this ole gurl!  I assumed Wifey poo's would not like it and want summit newer with leather seats etc but she was keen on it too.  It won't do a lot of mileage and is an occasional tow tug and quote motor.  I will swap the chip box from the old one to this newer one and may opt to have an air locker (diff lock) fitted to the front axle to help it in the mud.   I have an Isuzu Trooper intercooler kit to go on too which will help up the ponies a bit.

I was chasing a 100 series Land Cruiser 4.2TD that had the back end chopped off and a smart looking pickup tub fitted but i got nowhere with that.

I reckon if it was a 2002 Hilux double cab in similar condition it would be advertised for £5k but seeing as these Isuzu trucks were never as popular they are quite a bit cheaper.

• Like 5

Petrol v8 Range Rover with a good roof rack would be perfect for you Matthew. Cheap as chips to buy and keep on the road, even if you kill it’s engine or gearbox you can sell what’s left and not lose more than a grand. I’ve had mine coming up two years and it’s the cheapest actual cost motor I’ve ever run for work and I’ve had new Isuzu and Nissan pick ups, new and old defenders, discovery, traffic, primastar vans etc

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Petrol v8 Range Rover with a good roof rack would be perfect for you Matthew. Cheap as chips to buy and keep on the road, even if you kill it’s engine or gearbox you can sell what’s left and not lose more than a grand. I’ve had mine coming up two years and it’s the cheapest actual cost motor I’ve ever run for work and I’ve had new Isuzu and Nissan pick ups, new and old defenders, discovery, traffic, primastar vans etc

Which V8? I've been offered one with the BMW engine which is playing up and am undecided. The  Rover V8 with twin Strombergs was simple and I managed about 19mpg.

Delighted you have kept it old school. Was about to suggest a mk4 DC hilux for sale near me with 80k fella wants 3k for it. But reckon you have a belta there.

Pics?

Take it you have seen that landcruiser on Ebay? Low miles but £10k or something daft.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283264663246

Hilux:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/298032071044003/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Which V8? I've been offered one with the BMW engine which is playing up and am undecided. The  Rover V8 with twin Strombergs was simple and I managed about 19mpg.

4.4 bmw is the one I’ve got and really like but some like the jag engines.

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

That's the same engine as the one I have been offered, I'm just worried about the cost of getting it repaired, I had  3 with rover V8s and no problems.

What’s the problem with it? Have you had it plugged in for diagnosis? If you were near I could lend you my reader but opposite end of the country. A lot of the time it’s a simple sensor and plug and play replacements normally cheap.

8 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

What’s the problem with it? Have you had it plugged in for diagnosis? If you were near I could lend you my reader but opposite end of the country. A lot of the time it’s a simple sensor and plug and play replacements normally cheap.

I haven't managed to start it yet , battery only just managed to turn it over and I haven't got around to trying again but I might ask you for some pointers if I have another bash.

I have a generic VW biased OBD2 reader.