New replacement 4x4 pickup

wicklamulla

14 hours ago, openspaceman said:

@LeeGray I finally got round to starting it today, it rattled from cold and gave a P0011 fault code, which is a mis timed valve bank. Given the rattle I suspect the variable valve timing unit is suspect.

Any thoughts?

The rest of the vehicle seems fine, 04 plate previously owned by late father in law, has sat idle for 9 months. My nephew says it exhibits a sudden loss of power but I suspect that the fault code triggering a "limp home mode". I'll take it for MOT next week but if the engine is fixable I'll run it, else I already have a taker for the wheels.

Could be vanos, tensioner or guides...could be low oil pressure possibly due to seals even. It is the v8 petrol isn’t it? Vanos and chains etc kit aren’t dear imo but I wouldn’t want to do it myself as imagine timing tools will be rr only and dear as hell. But if the kits £4-500 and a good mechanic can do it in a day £1000 would be a good investment if the cars clean otherwise and doesn’t stand you at anything. 

Or break it and I’ll have the amp and radio modules off you ?

At some point they’ll need doing anyway so if you’re planning on keeping it, it’s reasonable to do it. Or stick a replacement engine in but you may have the same faults or worse. Plenty of them about.

I love mine so much when I get problems I’ll hopefully put a new/remanufactured engine in if I can find one under £4K. When the body/chassis goes I’ll swap the engine into the next one I buy.

I’ve also got a v8 3.6 TD but when anything expensive goes on this I’ll cry, sell it for what I can get and take a massive hit! Turbos are about £3k, engines about £6k.

Edited by LeeGray

9 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

At some point they’ll need doing anyway so if you’re planning on keeping it, it’s reasonable to do it.

I'll get a price from DLR if it gets through an MOT. I shall only keep it a short while as I have a chance to help my mate's widow and daughter out by doing some extraction in his woodland.

• Like 2

On 16/02/2019 at 18:50, Ratman said:

Vanos repairs at that age of vehicle will probably be uneconomical, unless it has big sentimental values etc. I’m not up on vanos to be honest, so cant really advise unfortunately.
My current BMW 3.0L has vanos fitted, but is shoehorned under my dashboard as they decided to reposition it on the B series engine, so if it does decide to act the goat then it’ll be back to the dealer me thinks.

Yes I'm getting estimates in excess of £3000 and no smaller mechanics interested, special tools needed and too fiddly for my capabilities means this will be sold for spares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Yes I'm getting estimates in excess of £3000 and no smaller mechanics interested, special tools needed and too fiddly for my capabilities means this will be sold for spares.

Madness! Can’t you drop another engine in? How much do you want for it if it’s going for spares? 

25 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Madness!

Oi!

Can’t you drop another engine in?

I have no garage or facilities, I was okay doing engines and gearboxes on Series and 101outside  but this is too big and complicated. As per your suggestion I was willing to spend £1500 but cannot justify double that and the local MOT place, who originally diagnosed the fault won't MOT it for fear of the engine disintegrating on test. Otherwise he says he is sure it will pass.

How much do you want for it if it’s going for spares? 

He gave it to me on the basis I would repair and use it, now he wants the wheels for his RR.

I'll have to ask but he won't entertain tyre kickers for security reasons. It has done about 115k miles.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Oi!

I have no garage or facilities, I was okay doing engines and gearboxes on Series and 101outside  but this is too big and complicated. As per your suggestion I was willing to spend £1500 but cannot justify double that and the local MOT place, who originally diagnosed the fault won't MOT it for fear of the engine disintegrating on test. Otherwise he says he is sure it will pass.

He gave it to me on the basis I would repair and use it, now he wants the wheels for his RR.

I'll have to ask but he won't entertain tyre kickers for security reasons. It has done about 115k miles.

No tyre kickers here, whereabouts in the country is it? I’m after a few bits but may take the whole thing minus the wheels if it’s available