New replacement 4x4 pickup

wicklamulla

On 12/12/2018 at 16:31, Gary Prentice said:

I have a sense of irony, in that customers have asked for years "Do you need to plug your tools in?" 

Finally we can say yes. :D "Just need to charge the chainsaws and the chipper" 

We always say ‘Just for the kettle. Thanks!’.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 02/12/2018 at 01:19, Coletti said:

Take a look at the 3l isuzu rodeo, anywhere from about 2004-2011 will be fine. Old enough not to have too much electrics and a very agricultural engine that's easy to maintain and work on. They aren't the fastest, but pull very well and can return 36mpg on a good run. I've had an 06 plate for around 50-60k miles and aside from usual wear and tear parts I've only had to replace one abs sensor which considering it's on 135k I don't think is bad (the abs sensor is the only thing aside from normal wear and tear parts it's ever had replaced) and many have gone 300k + with out much fuss so they are very reliable and to be honest, they are pretty cheap

I'll second that, I had an 04 Rodeo for about a year and only sold because the double cab buck wasn't quite enough. Engines and bodies are rugged and for the money only Hilux are comparable really

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/12/2018 at 16:56, LeeGray said:

What’s the problem with it? Have you had it plugged in for diagnosis? If you were near I could lend you my reader but opposite end of the country. A lot of the time it’s a simple sensor and plug and play replacements normally cheap.

@LeeGray I finally got round to starting it today, it rattled from cold and gave a P0011 fault code, which is a mis timed valve bank. Given the rattle I suspect the variable valve timing unit is suspect.

Any thoughts?

The rest of the vehicle seems fine, 04 plate previously owned by late father in law, has sat idle for 9 months. My nephew says it exhibits a sudden loss of power but I suspect that the fault code triggering a "limp home mode". I'll take it for MOT next week but if the engine is fixable I'll run it, else I already have a taker for the wheels.

[mention=43717]LeeGray[/mention] I finally got round to starting it today, it rattled from cold and gave a P0011 fault code, which is a mis timed valve bank. Given the rattle I suspect the variable valve timing unit is suspect.

Any thoughts?

The rest of the vehicle seems fine, 04 plate previously owned by late father in law, has sat idle for 9 months. My nephew says it exhibits a sudden loss of power but I suspect that the fault code triggering a "limp home mode". I'll take it for MOT next week but if the engine is fixable I'll run it, else I already have a taker for the wheels.

You had to jump start it? Could be a temporary voltage issue causing fault code and bad running till battery is back up to norm.

No just had battery on charge 24 hours

Batteries can cause issues, but i’ve just gone bk over the thread again to refresh my memory, and remembered now, you bought it with a ongoing fault.
We get a fair few engine / diagnostic issues at work that can lead you down the garden path when you start to diagnose, and battery voltages can often be the cause. But we’re on 24v (two battery) systems. But with a car, one battery / bad cell can cause the issues. Single 12v car battery would probably show up more significantly i.e battery light etc

27 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Batteries can cause issues, but i’ve just gone bk over the thread again to refresh my memory, and remembered now, you bought it with a ongoing fault.
We get a fair few engine / diagnostic issues at work that can lead you down the garden path when you start to diagnose, and battery voltages can often be the cause. But we’re on 24v (two battery) systems. But with a car, one battery / bad cell can cause the issues. Single 12v car battery would probably show up more significantly i.e battery light etc 

I've been given it by my brother in law and he gave up on it because of the engine fault.

From driving transits and a Nissan  3litre V6 I know an engine fault can trigger a limp home mode which to the un initiated can seem like a sudden loss of power where in fact it cuts the power if engine rpm go above ~200rpm.

It was only once I started it and heard the cold rattle coupled with the p0011 fault code that I realised it could be a problem with the vanos.

No other faults showed up and the battery was charging fine.

I want to use it as a tug to move my Holders around rather than leave them on site.

• Like 1

I've been given it by my brother in law and he gave up on it because of the engine fault.

From driving transits and a Nissan  3litre V6 I know an engine fault can trigger a limp home mode which to the un initiated can seem like a sudden loss of power where in fact it cuts the power if engine rpm go above ~200rpm.

It was only once I started it and heard the cold rattle coupled with the p0011 fault code that I realised it could be a problem with the vanos.

No other faults showed up and the battery was charging fine.

I want to use it as a tug to move my Holders around rather than leave them on site.

Vanos repairs at that age of vehicle will probably be uneconomical, unless it has big sentimental values etc. I’m not up on vanos to be honest, so cant really advise unfortunately.
My current BMW 3.0L has vanos fitted, but is shoehorned under my dashboard as they decided to reposition it on the B series engine, so if it does decide to act the goat then it’ll be back to the dealer me thinks.