New replacement 4x4 pickup

wicklamulla

Electric motors are surely better at towing, and pretty much everything else that I can think of. It’s the cost and lack of demand putting manufacturers off. We need to get our heads around range..how many people tow, off road, heavy loads for hundreds of miles every day in a non hgv?  Electric would probably suit 75% of road users in the uk. Can’t remember the stats but I’m sure you find them online about average journey travelled. It’ll be a while before folk are willing to move though, when most already have something that does all the things the next generation trucks will do at a lower cost to owner albeit a higher cost to emissions, health, noise pollution etc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeeGray said:

Electric motors are surely better at towing, and pretty much everything else that I can think of. It’s the cost and lack of demand putting manufacturers off. We need to get our heads around range..how many people tow, off road, heavy loads for hundreds of miles every day in a non hgv?  Electric would probably suit 75% of road users in the uk. Can’t remember the stats but I’m sure you find them online about average journey travelled. It’ll be a while before folk are willing to move though, when most already have something that does all the things the next generation trucks will do at a lower cost to owner albeit a higher cost to emissions, health, noise pollution etc

There are other reasons why an electric car isn't suited to towing - the regenerative braking systems can wind up ruining the drive train for example if you're towing a lot of weight. There are actually only a couple of electric cars which are approved for towing. Yes, towing uses more diesel also, but the effect isn't as dramatic as it is on batteries, as I'm sure Stubby knows fine well.

The range is an issue, but more of an issue is the infrastructure - until there's a charging point as often as there's a petrol station at the moment, and if a 5 minute charge is possible, I can't see it catching on. If you're towing and thus using (a wee bit) more diesel, you can fill up and get on your way.

31 minutes ago, ForestryFinance said:

There are other reasons why an electric car isn't suited to towing - the regenerative braking systems can wind up ruining the drive train for example if you're towing a lot of weight. There are actually only a couple of electric cars which are approved for towing. Yes, towing uses more diesel also, but the effect isn't as dramatic as it is on batteries, as I'm sure Stubby knows fine well.

The range is an issue, but more of an issue is the infrastructure - until there's a charging point as often as there's a petrol station at the moment, and if a 5 minute charge is possible, I can't see it catching on. If you're towing and thus using (a wee bit) more diesel, you can fill up and get on your way.

as much as I love my v8 and other combustion engines toys anything who thinks electric vehicles won’t catch on has got there head in the clouds! It’s already happened, new combustion engines will be gone within the next 10 years easily. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ForestryFinance said:

The bloke across from me has an electric car . Not a hybrid but pure electric . He plugs it in on the driveway at home .  When he has to go on a long trip , say to Scotland from West Sussex it automatically plans his journey  to take in any  available charging points that it calculates it would need .  I have a diesel truck but I would have one of those trucks for sure . Its coming I'm pretty certain of that and when it does take off the infrastructure  to facilitate it will quickly come into place . Business dictates that if nothing else . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

Electric would make a great work truck, tons of tourque, constant power, they just need to up the weight rules for electric work vehicles as the battery’s weight takes away most of the payload for a sub 3.5t work vehicle

vw are bring out a 100% electric transporter next year, Scania have battery test lorrys on the roads.

trains are diesel electric

• Like 1

I was driving on the A27 in a 2ltr Audi A4 and a Tessla  completely destroyed me on acceleration . I was never going to keep up . Because they have such huge chunks of torque they can run higher gearing with out loosing any power hence the stonking grunt they demonstrate . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

they just need to up the weight rules for electric work vehicles as the battery’s weight takes away most of the payload for a sub 3.5t work vehicle

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/category-b-driving-licence-derogation-for-alternatively-fuelled-commercial-vehicles

already France and Germany are at the proposed 4.25 tonnes for electric on a B licence I'm told

• Like 1

I like hybrids, and I think there is plenty to support them getting a real foothold, but I think for full electric there’s still a bit of work to be done in the energy storage. If there was a car that could do 400 miles in real life conditions, reliably, then we would be getting somewhere. My dad had an electric car until recently when he changed it for a hybrid. 

Nissan Leaf it was - supposed to have a 150 mile range or something but with real driving conditions (hills etc) it was more like 100, often less.