New replacement 4x4 pickup

wicklamulla

Hard to know what to recommend. 

I'm considering a Ranger as a second work/family vehicle but I'm not sure. The fuel economy isn't good and the Bi-tdi Amarok with 258bhp is rather appealing. But then I tow all the time so the power is more of an issue for me. 

Being more familiar with your part of the world now (as you are about 10 miles away from us as the crow flies) I'd have thought something with a narrow footprint and ideally the ability to see around blind corners would be what's you'd need on your nutty Devon lanes! ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

Looks like i may have to 'modernise' and buy something newer.

Bad luck but is there no way to keep the old truck going? Maybe just go newer but still lowish tech. Think DPFs came in in 2011 and as you know they caused me a world of hassle. I cant really fault my Hilux and as J points out our lanes are narrow and the Hilux of my vintage (MK6) is still one of the narrowest trucks around. Down side is legal towing capacity at just 2.7 tonne.

Take a look at the 3l isuzu rodeo, anywhere from about 2004-2011 will be fine. Old enough not to have too much electrics and a very agricultural engine that's easy to maintain and work on. They aren't the fastest, but pull very well and can return 36mpg on a good run. I've had an 06 plate for around 50-60k miles and aside from usual wear and tear parts I've only had to replace one abs sensor which considering it's on 135k I don't think is bad (the abs sensor is the only thing aside from normal wear and tear parts it's ever had replaced) and many have gone 300k + with out much fuss so they are very reliable and to be honest, they are pretty cheap

• Like 2

'She' is mine.  I have just paid alorra money for a 'newer' pickup truck ??

George Coletti, Woodwizard, etc, etc I was looking at newer Rodeo's but i had a last minute change of mind and spent alot but also saved alot if ya know what i mean.  I'm back up to Surrey next week to collect her.  Pics. to follow.  I might be ever so slightly excited!

Dmax is a decent shout I’ve had no real issues with either of mine in the past, rangers are only really any good if you get the 3.2 and that can sting ya. If it’s gonna be a car for the family and something to get to work in as aposed to a workhorse id look at going down the Amarok route. Just opinion 

• Like 1

I ve got a 3.2 ranger and I am impressed with its mpg seams to do a consistent 28-30mpg with towing Loaders most days. Doesn’t even know they are there. I had a new d max before which was great apart from the body rusting. They sorted it under warranty but a 1 year old motors doors, roof, bonnet and around the windscreen rusting wasn’t very good. 

I’m constantly on the lookout for my perfect truck but everything seems to be a compromise in one way or another. Not big enough load bed, big enough load bed but no tool storage/family unfriendly. Wouldn’t want to chuck a load of money away on depreciation so that rules out new trucks- plus far too tarty for my line of work. 

what did you go for in the end Ken?

My perfect truck- 

3.5t towing- preferably not squeezed out of a tiny engine.

decent long bed-

6ft minimum to get stakes, digger buckets and materials in.

Internal storage for drills/saws tools.

family friendly ie can put the little one in the back somewhere.

is there such a thing?

• Like 1