Vehicle

Matt D

Evening all, im Matt and I’m new to this sort of thing. I own a couple of acres with a lot of beech trees which I have a thinning  license for. I’m currently taking a few down mostly 25m high and 12” at chest height. I’m keeping them all for logs but need a vehicle to transport them home as I live 29 miles from the wood. I’ve been loading up my work van , a very caddy, each time I go but there’s so much to be moved I’m going to buy a second vehicle. I was thinking an old Mitsubishi l200 single cab as the track can get a bit tricky In winter. I’ve currently been managing to get roughly 1m3 in the caddy with each trip home and wondering how much more I’d get on a L200 or if anyone has any other suggestions I’m all ears. I need my caddy for work so don’t want to spend more than a coue

of grand, as I’ll only be using the second vehicle purley for moving logs 1/2 days per week at most. Any advice would be appreciated,thanks ?

Off the wall, may help may not.

And depending on just how tricky the track is in winter.

What's your nearest vehicle hire office?

Hire a 'transit': ~£80 a go.

For your £2 000 you get 25 hires.

That's 6 hires per year/1 every other month for four years;

Fuel would be about the same.

No tax, no insurance, no MOT, (that's another ~£650= another 8 hires per year = 1ce a month)* no breakdown, no service, no washing, no repairs, no nagnagnag dowereallyneedtwovans theplaceisgettingsountidy andyouonlyuseitatweekendsforthefirewood.

You wouldn't get 4 years of trouble free motoring off a £2000 hilux.

And you get to spread the cost.

And you don't have to buy another hilux in four years time; nor worry about having bin sold a lemon; nor worry about getting home on cold and rainy nights when it starts to splutter.

Could you ferry a load down the track in the caddy when you're out there cutting to pick up later in the transit if the track is too tricky? Or just do the log runs in the better weather if you have storage at home.?

*Blimey! You can hire 8 times a year for the same money as the basic running costs of the hilux without having to shell out for the hilux in the first place!

This reply brought to you by Solutions<backwardR>Us

(A division of Yourn Enterprises (Worldwide Logistics) & Solutions)

Happy Days :)

Y.

Cheers for the reply’s. I really don’t want to put the ware and tear on my caddy as it’s only 1.6 and don’t think I’d be able to tow much with it. Also it would be great to leave them to season in the woods but literally every bit of dead or fallen wood there is riddled in wood worm, so I’m keen to get them home!

I have a mate shift me arb waste with his tractor and hookloader  and 40yd bin there is an awful lot of timber in a load its about 21 mile each way and he loads himself with front loader and grab  costs me about 150 a load would take 2 days with a transit plus fuel you could see if a skip firm would drop a bin off and you fill it or see if you could get a farmer to shift it?