Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BowlandStoves

Will Brexit increase the cost of your wood fuel?

Recommended Posts

For me the main issue is more who the next PM will be. JRM and Michael Gove have set out almost completely different visions for UK agriculture/forestry/environment. Then there's JC and who knows what his rural policies for a post Brexit UK will be. The EU might not of been perfect but the long term and relatively consistent policies gave businesses certainty to build their business and invest around. Managing the increasing uncertainty and risk associated with more short lived and varying rural policies is by no means impossible, but might catch a few of the bigger companies out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

Which are more than funded by the money we put in.

But all the money we put in has been promised, by those without any authority or power to give it, to the NHS. Or was that a lie. Nothing left for forestry, farming, science, industry, training, infrastructure, education, the environment, security, or anything else.

 

My favourite interviews on Brexit have been; the one with the bloke saying we should get on with it because his water company is owned by the French and it was English water so we should take back control of it, the ex-pat in Spain who voted Brexit because of immigration, and the sheep farmer who thought they were going to sell to the USA.

 

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

But all the money we put in has been promised, by those without any authority or power to give it, to the NHS. Or was that a lie. Nothing left for forestry, farming, science, industry, training, infrastructure, education, the environment, security, or anything else.

 

My favourite interviews on Brexit have been; the one with the bloke saying we should get on with it because his water company is owned by the French and it was English water so we should take back control of it, the ex-pat in Spain who voted Brexit because of immigration, and the sheep farmer who thought they were going to sell to the USA.

 

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to vote.

75% of Irish livestock exports are to the middle east (just before Ramadan, incidentally) - why shouldn't British sheep farmers export to the USA?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EdwardC said:

My favourite interviews on Brexit have been; the one with the bloke saying we should get on with it because his water company is owned by the French and it was English water so we should take back control of it, the ex-pat in Spain who voted Brexit because of immigration, and the sheep farmer who thought they were going to sell to the USA.

 

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to vote.

My favourite is the guy who voted leave because he didn't like the Eurovision Song Contest.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, aesmith said:

My favourite is the guy who voted leave because he didn't like the Eurovision Song Contest.

Sound reasoning ! 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More seriously what is the underlying reason that our own home firewood industry is having trouble competing with imports?  It seems wrong that firewood can be kiln dried in Latvia, shipped all the way over here and still be competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, aesmith said:

More seriously what is the underlying reason that our own home firewood industry is having trouble competing with imports?  It seems wrong that firewood can be kiln dried in Latvia, shipped all the way over here and still be competitive.

Firewood conversion is labour intensive, Latvia monthly wage is about £500 which is a quarter of what you would need to pay here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2018 at 20:27, Haironyourchest said:

 - why shouldn't British sheep farmers export to the USA?

Aren't UK lamb imports into the USA still banned.

 

Not a problem as exports to the EU rose £60 million. But we're about to close our biggest market by both sales and growth down. No doubt all the lamb that we're not selling to the EU can be exported to the USA. If only we could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant imagine customers will pay more for logs than they do now. Yes the supplies of imported kilned dried logs may dry up but plenty of fires are just a luxury and if things get tight (many economist think they will)  customers will just cut back on the stove and use gas which is cheaper for heating anyway. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.