Will Brexit increase the cost of your wood fuel?

Whatever happens with Brexit there will be issues in the short to medium term and supply lines may be blocked in the short term. It looks as though we import a lot of wood:-

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/tools-and-resources/statistics/statistics-by-topic/timber-statistics/uk-wood-production-and-trade-provisional-figures/

Will Brexit increase the cost of your wood? Higher import costs for wood coming from overseas and possibly higher demand for UK wood pushing prices higer. What do you think?

What can I say, but "Oh Good", & rub my hands with glee,

for all us UK based woodland owners, especially previously undervalued Conifer woodland owners.

P.S.

I had predicted Brexit would be good for UK based business, so I was correct, yes?

cheers

marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 5

Even though on the whole I see nothing but wasted opportunity, a struggling economy, and a future of international irrelevance and obscurity for the UK as a result of Brexit, I have to say this does look great for British wood fuel producers. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that!

Shame about the rest of it though.

24 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

Until you apply for your EU funded woodland grants, sorry didnt you realise all those grants were from the EU.

Which are more than funded by the money we put in.

That's one of many things I don't get about the EU is why do we have to put money in only to get it out again minus an admin charge?

It's a bit like going to the pub with £10. If you follow the EU model you give the £10 to someone and they buy you £8's worth of drinks. By the way, you may want bitter but under the EU rules you can only have lager as we all need to follow the same standards...

• Like 9

Some  EU money gets redistributed to poorer countries & regions of countries for development projects. As UK overall is richer than places like Romania etc less comes back than put in.

Click net contribution:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start 

On the other hand it has helped poorer bits of the UK like the North & Wales etc that otherwise wouldn'r of got funding from a UK goverment that tends to favour the SE of the country hence forcasts saying certain parts of the UK will be more ngeatively affected by brexit.

EU generally seems more progressive with regards enviromental protection  policies than the UK goverment is 

This has meant the EU grants for enviro stuff.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Which are more than funded by the money we put in.

That's one of many things I don't get about the EU is why do we have to put money in only to get it out again minus an admin charge?

It's a bit like going to the pub with £10. If you follow the EU model you give the £10 to someone and they buy you £8's worth of drinks. By the way, you may want bitter but under the EU rules you can only have lager as we all need to follow the same standards...

Exactly. And there's no "barred list" inside the door and no bouncers. And it's a lock-in. Yay.

The naive view of possible benefits from one ignorant in the ways of commercial timber production...

Expensive to import = we help save some virgin forest in the Baltic States and Poland currently being mullah'd with no regulation.

Increased demand for domestic produce = long overdue management of some of the thousands of acres of abandoned woodland on our doorsteps (much lapsed chestnut coppice a few miles away from here in Kent for example).

Naive I'm sure as I say but someone come back at me and start the discussion...

• Like 2

For me the main issue is more who the next PM will be. JRM and Michael Gove have set out almost completely different visions for UK agriculture/forestry/environment. Then there's JC and who knows what his rural policies for a post Brexit UK will be. The EU might not of been perfect but the long term and relatively consistent policies gave businesses certainty to build their business and invest around. Managing the increasing uncertainty and risk associated with more short lived and varying rural policies is by no means impossible, but might catch a few of the bigger companies out.