Leave cambium saver and ropes in tree over night?

forestboy1978

54 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

We just take our rope out and put a throwline in the cambium saver,put the throwline back in the cube then put the cube about 12-15 foot up the tree on a branch or peg.

Nextday spike up and get it or use a laddder if spikes are not an option

this is what I do too - if you have climbed to your top anchor and cambium saver installed, it's getting dark so work stops (unless your working nights with lighting) so at the top you made sure the splice if you have one went through the small ring before the large ring, descend and use pile hitch and loads of half hitches to keep climbing rope straight on end of throwline, pull rope back through cambium saver using throwline and tie off the throwline. They are cheap I don't use the cube one for this just have one on a reel and tie both ends to the tree - if no kids it can be at base. Beware though by tieing the splice onto the throwline with pile hitch half hitches it can occaisionally be almost impossible to pull it back through in the morning. A more failsafe way is to remove the zigzag from the rope and use the non spliced end to attach the throwline - this also applies if rope is through a fork.

Re your prusik troubles - you could spend your way out of it again and buy an Art Positioner swivel lanyard adjuster, about £100, but works fine in the wet if you have to be out there.

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Husqvarna King said:

Can't you just slide it off the end of the rope (not the spliced eye end obviously)?

Could do but it's a tight fit over those rubber ends. I have to twist and push to push the rubber through. It will wear away eventually. 

I guess I could just maybe heat it slightly to to kinda round the lip of the rubber edge but dunno where that leaves me regulations wise. Only me climbing so only me dying so perhaps doesn't matter so much if I "tweak" ropes etc but dunno...

• Like 1