Which Welder

Lazurus

Thinking of getting a welder for simple DIY use and general workshop stuff. Used to do a bit with a stick welder a few years back but would like to try a gasless MIG, any recommendations, advice, and pointers. Will be generally inside work only and fairly light metals.

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

Thinking of getting a welder for simple DIY use and general workshop stuff. Used to do a bit with a stick welder a few years back but would like to try a gasless MIG, any recommendations, advice, and pointers. Will be generally inside work only and fairly light metals.

If breeze isn't an issue co2argon is better

50 minutes ago, jmac said:

I found the gasless migs hard to weld thin steel, just kept blowing holes in the metal! So if you plan to weld car bodywork or similar I would get a gas mig.

Yes if breeze isn't an issue an argon co2 mix in an owned bottle works better. I have bought a small Argon bottle to try a bit of TIG. £25 deposit and the same again for a fill. No bottle rental

I have a 180 amp stick welder that can be turned up higher with industrial electrical supply. It wasn't that expensive, £180 I think. I bought a gasless mig hoping it would make welding thin stuff easier but it's horrible. I normally just stick weld everything now. The gasless wire is expensive as it has a built in flux. Also it blows just as many holes in thin metal as an arc welder so really no advantage

Edited by Husqvarna King

Gas less is okay but spits and is messy. As has already been said, if a breeze isn't an issue then get a proper mig welder. If you look around you can get inverter mig welder that will also do arc and scratch start tig too which is always a bonus. One I keep hearing about and haven't seen a bad review of is the Rtech mig welder so worth a look there. Some good vids of it in YouTube also