Overnight Burning - Need to know if I'm on the right path

On 30/11/2018 at 12:12, woodrascal said:

I'm finding this 'hazing' of the glass a problem in my Vision 500.

I have modified the stove to burn cleaner by replacing the steel baffle with vermiculite board and adding an adjustable pre-heated tertiary air supply. It burns so much cleaner but the fly ash is melting into the glass due to the very high firebox temperatures.

What wood are you burning? I find I get a bit of hazing if I burn softwood but not much at all with hardwood. I give it a clean every couple of weeks once it's built up a bit and it goes back to looking like new again.

41 minutes ago, Ashes_Firewood said:

What wood are you burning? I find I get a bit of hazing if I burn softwood but not much at all with hardwood. I give it a clean every couple of weeks once it's built up a bit and it goes back to looking like new again.

95% bone dry Ash, Oak and Hawthorn with a bit of Larch as kindling.

2 hours ago, Big J said:

Having moved to Devon, it's so bloody mild down here, I'm wondering if I'm ever going to need to burn overnight again! ?

It's so mild I haven't lit the stove but the chimney breast is still warm from last night. This is why I have no need to overnight burn but if I chose to it would only be burning out a bed of char I deliberately aimed for, rather than smoulder.

• Like 1

Mild everywhere.  I had both stoves on an over did it 2 days ago.....24C downstairs, 20 in the bedrooms upstairs, still 19C in th morning, still 18C yesterday so nothing lit, still 17C this evening....lit one stove to ensure its not chilly in the morning really.  This is south London.  I reckon it'll be a harsh late winter though.... hope so...I bought a sledge and my 3yo will love it!

11 hours ago, Big J said:

Having moved to Devon, it's so bloody mild down here, I'm wondering if I'm ever going to need to burn overnight again! ?

We have it on to keep things dry. Currently 96% RH and averaged 90% over the last month. Soggy as an otters pocket for the last few weeks.

21 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

We have it on to keep things dry. Currently 96% RH and averaged 90% over the last month. Soggy as an otters pocket for the last few weeks.

That it has been. My firewood that I brought to Devon in July (in a shipping container) was 12% then. It's now 22-23% after the foot or so of rain we've had in the past month.

4 minutes ago, Big J said:

That it has been. My firewood that I brought to Devon in July (in a shipping container) was 12% then. It's now 22-23% after the foot or so of rain we've had in the past month.

Yep 13" of rain in the last month according to our weather station. Mind you only half that amount near Tiverton 

Edited by Woodworks