Arborist First Aid Supplies

Jamie Jones

When working on the UK roads doing tree safety I had a 'peli' box of first aid goodies from this co. http://www.bluewatersupplies.com/cm_intro.htm

Read the specs. Being an amateur yachtsman swung me as this is a well thought out kit.

Having been on an 'epedition' first aid course I thought this would sort all first aid needs.

There were six of us in the team so we were well covered.

codlasher

On 29/11/2018 at 14:28, Haironyourchest said:

There are instructional videos on YouTube about the correct application of tourniquets. You can also apply to stop the bleeding (arterial) then address the bleed with other measures and then slacken off the tourniquet. They reckon 2 hours is safe, even up to 6 in some cases. The problems arise with homemade tourniquet's that are too thin, too tight, not properly positioned etc. As for my homoeopathic kit, it has saved me countless hours of pain from whacked shins, sprains etc. It won't stop an arterial bleed, but for dings it works, for me. And for others who have tried it.

For once I agree with you, for things such as bumped limbs and bruises, I meditate. For instance, I was chucking stub cuts into the chipper with my second climber, and I turned around as he was chucking one. Caught a log above my eye. Split the skin and swelled up like an egg.

I'm pretty sure it would have been fatal had I not walked away and meditated until the pain and anger had subsided.

I live to spread the word

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For those who take emergency first aid seriously, as we should though, I have my take on it.

As a subby climber roughly a third of my lunch backpack is taken up by my first aid kit. I dont believe I should have to carry a team kit, but I've worked for too many companies where the van kit is a Halfords camping kit or the like.

I've removed the plasters and the small dressings, we're not looking at paper cuts.

I've added:

2 emergency blankets. One isn't enough, you want one layer to act as an insulator between the casualty and the ground. The second can wrap the casualty and preserve body temperature.

Eye wash and bandages. It's important. Of my eight years climbing the two hospital trips have been fired for eye injuries, including blunt force trauma and lacerations to the cornea. Bleeding from the eye is no fun.

Cold packs. Not a necessity, but bumps and sprains need cooling to prevent inflammation, not rubbing with some quacks magic ointment.

Tuff cut shears. You might need to cut through the sane stuff you expect to stop a chainsaw. 

Burn gauze: we work with petrol and combustion engines. Burns suck massively, it's worth having. 

Now for the serious stuff, and its important to understand that this kit is useless unless your first aider understands it. 

Torniquet: I like the RATS torniquet because its easily applied with one hand, and fits over a chainsaw boot and leg. This is a life or limb resort. You don't reach for it first. In the event of massive trauma like an arterial bleed it can mean the difference between keeping someone alive and not. If other methods of blood control have failed, you'll need this. Try and note the time of application, it will be useful to the docs.

Israeli Bandage: great for any kind of severe wound. Can apply pressure (not as much as a torniquet, I've tried) and stop moderate to heavy blood flow. Can be used along side celox. 

Celox or other haemostatic products: these vary in design, but I prefer the gauze over the powder. Mainly because wind or height won't cause you to spill or lose it. You can push this into a cut to stop severe blood flow. Indispensable for neck lacerations where pressure bandages and tourniquets are not an option. 

Large absorbent dressings: to pack out wounds that are too large for haemostatic gauze to fill. 

Note that I've no more first aid training than most of you, but if rather have the kit and not need it than the other way around. Call it the condom principle. 

• Like 2