Timber trailers... what to look at / go for?

swinny

7 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Aye it’s a good trailer but the 360 can be lacking . I’ve moved well dragged some big bits with it , would Definitely like an upgrade but Wilson’s told me a 560 won’t go on that trailer... roof mount could be an option be again in thinning stands I’m not sure if a roof mount would be a hinderance more than benefit, as a forestry crane also it lacks some finesse.
Basically though it does what we need it for .. that’s fresh beech in the second pic and it didn’t struggle to much with any of it maybe another foot bigger at 4 it would need dragging on.

Are they 4m lengths then? 

Would you ever put 2 bays of 2.5 on it? or is that over kill.

I have also learnt through experience, its better to do multiple trips at a smaller amount than busting balls and trying to do less trips with more on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Draw bar wouldn't be long enough though to get both to site unless i put the crane in the trailer, also t be a pain unloading anything up against the sides?

Trailers in just now for some taller sides on for all the ugly gnarly bits to collect from site.

Some trailers have very short draw bar but can get around it by using pin tow bar pulled out to max length. 

Timber trailer is OK for long stuff but not for arb wood unless it's got solid floor. 

4 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Aye 4 meters , you could... I would not run with it on the road though unless I had 4 ratchet straps to secure two for each bay as there would be little over hang ... and it always worries me with two bays full as you can’t see the back bay driving.

Yes... I'd rather be safe and know my load etc.... Also it needs to look right and be road worthy. 

Any big lumps could be bossed on with the front loader anyhow?

I think the 8t trailer would more suit me....

I do consider getting a bigger hp tractor at times but then how far do you go? I think smaller is better at times. My farmer mate keeps getting bigger and bigger heavier tractors. Sometimes they struggle to get in places. 

Rather have a nimble outfit than a canal barge

1 minute ago, woody paul said:

Some trailers have very short draw bar but can get around it by using pin tow bar pulled out to max length. 

Timber trailer is OK for long stuff but not for arb wood unless it's got solid floor. 

I could take as much as poss with a timber trailer then the rest of the crap / off cuts can go in the tipping trailer.

Nowadays I keep some for processor, and rest goes for biomass.

Was wondering if I could earn some money from bringing back in 2.5m lengths and sell out a wagon load once i've accrued it

Few random thoughts;

I think a steering drawbar is essential if you're using it in the woods, gives you a lot more flexibility. 

Go for the biggest trailer you can, with hardwood you'll normally only get half it's capacity on. 

Most larger trailers have hydraulic legs which will speed up all jobs over manual ones.

Land drive is nice but pointless if you're primarily on tracks and takes another spool 

You need a return pipe or power beyond on top of the spools.

Edit: pic of our farmi 14ton, very good trailer but build quality could be an issue after a few years. 

Screenshot_20181128-185224.png

Edited by gdh
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Seen a kts one for sale recently looked ok. Whats the re sale value like further down the line? I suspect botex will keep its money better.

Not against a second hand trailer. Most seem down south! also theres some right heaps out there

KTS resale is incredible - they are actually an appreciating asset! You can buy mine for £15k if you like (I think you’ll find that is a bargain!)...

In all seriousness, a second hand timber trailer is likely to have had a hard life, so have a very good poke around anything you are considering.

Depending on how you configure your spool block, they can be a bit of a ballache to put on/take off, particularly if you are on your own.

Don’t expect a forestry crane to match the lifting capacity of a front end loader. Also don’t expect too much in terms of craning standing sticks out at full reach - none of these cranes have much capacity when fully extended.

On a smaller trailer you need some weight in it if you are going to lift stuff further away, even with legs.

Have a look at the KTS range, my 11 tonne (essentially a 10 tonne with extendable bunk) is not big in the slightest. I’ve had some proper lumps on it and it seems to like it (only a bent pin to show any sign of abuse...)!

• Like 1

Few random thoughts;
I think a steering drawbar is essential if you're using it in the woods, gives you a lot more flexibility. 

Go for the biggest trailer you can, with hardwood you'll normally only get half it's capacity on. 

Most larger trailers have hydraulic legs which will speed up all jobs over manual ones.

Land drive is nice but pointless if you're primarily on tracks and takes another spool 

You need a return pipe or power beyond on top of the spools.

Edit: pic of our farmi 14ton, very good trailer but build quality could be an issue after a few years. 

Screenshot_20181128-185224.thumb.png.9b342df6adc1661ad7a6bb25530d39a7.png

Good point , I doubt half the full loads on ours are over 4t.
Is the bed on the farma extending ?

3 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Good point , I doubt half the full loads on ours are over 4t.
Is the bed on the farma extending ?

Yes, it's on a ram. Unfortunately it's not quite long enough to double stack anything over 8ft but it's nice for longer pieces. 

• Like 1

It can be a bit of a hassle take timber trailer on and off tractor spool block and pipes are heavy. 

Width of trailer is the biggest problem I had when I built mine do make it 7 ft 6 inches or 6 ft made 6 ft get in every where I have been and some gateways have been tight. 

So I would consider width.