Can Beech be hedgelayed?

Duncan.

If the weather plays ball I will try to take some pictures of layed beech on our banks tomorrow. I might have over estimating how big some of them are but dont think so.

I am no expert hedge layer by any means and do it all with a chainsaw. For larger stuff like that a second pair of hands helps as one can take the weight as you finish the cut. You may need a fairly thin hinge to make it bend well and a long tapered cut is much better than coming in at a steep angle. As it starts to go you have to use a bit of feel and if feels like it's going to snap thin down the hinge further until it will go. Some end up hanging by a thread but almost always recover. Lay them uphill and as you lay the stem down pull them away from the bend as this helps avoid it snapping. Bets if the weather is warm as the hinges are far more brittle in really cold weather IME

There are some experts on the matter on here so hopefully they will correct any duff advise in the above.

• Thanks 1

Waiting for better weather to take pictures in is never going to happen so I hope you can make these out through the gloom. Various species including beech, oak and even sycamore. Some have put on some girth since being layed but none were nice little 2" stems when first done ?

IMG_20181202_085540.jpg

IMG_20181202_085654.jpg

IMG_20181202_085703.jpg

IMG_20181202_085716.jpg

IMG_20181202_085812.jpg

IMG_20181202_090131.jpg

• Like 1

i know zero or less about hedge laying but have reduced some beech hedges in past. looking at that i would say woody paul is right and depending on desired finish height in year or two i would just top off with chainsaw - maybe a three visit project to give hedge good growth, top - outside - inside 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like laying large beech pleachers. The biggest risk with larger trees, especially when trying to drop them on your own, is twisting. One largish limb that looks harmless when the tree is upright can wreak havoc when the stem starts to go over and weight comes on the hinge.

Beech of a size that's layable usually has fairly uniform and close set branches with few large wayward ones to catch you out. 

• 3 weeks later...