nptc cs 44

tree77

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I'm aware there isn't one.  As you know Lantra SSC developed the units used in both Lantra Awards' and NPTC's qualifications and, there was no comparable unit developed.  It may be that, at the time, it was seen that there was such low take up so as to suggest it was not needed. …  the lack of enquiries about it since would support that thought.

That's not to say that there are not a dozen training companies who will offer you training for CS44 if you ask them.

Isn’t  cs44 just felling a tree stem (that some guy has climbed and cut the branches off) albeit larger than the average 380mm tree. 

I would go for the cs32, ok it’s a bit more to it but then you would be qualified for stems up to..... and this is where it bugs me. The cs32 is cutting a tree down with a bar half the size of the tree, but in the end it’s up to 750mm.  I'll say no more on The gravy train...thing..?

3 hours ago, Wonky said:

Isn’t  cs44 just felling a tree stem (that some guy has climbed and cut the branches off) albeit larger than the average 380mm tree. 

I would go for the cs32, ok it’s a bit more to it but then you would be qualified for stems up to..... and this is where it bugs me. The cs32 is cutting a tree down with a bar half the size of the tree, but in the end it’s up to 750mm.  I'll say no more on The gravy train...thing..?

There is no upper limit on CS32, that’s one of the reasons they removed CS33. The trees can be up to twice the guide bar, usually with a 15-18” bar in training, once you know the techniques, bigger trees just need a bigger saw/guide bar.

That’s what I thought when I read the nptc test sheet. But I thought  I was told different by 

@Rough Hewn

When he recently did his.

anyhoo, as it was said by mr Phillips “theres a dozen odd companies that would be able offer the training if you ask”, for a price  ? and then ....

i have other stuff to do now, laters ?

Edited by Wonky
Typing edit

As I stated previously, the CS32 or 301 as it is now called has no upper limit. The training will require you to use a 15” or max18” guidebar, the trees on training will be no more than 760mm. Once these skills have been learned and you have the ticket you use these techniques to fell trees over 760mm with a larger saw/guide bar and maybe assisting the fell with a winch, I personally won’t employ anyone or work with anyone felling very large trees just because they hold C32 though, I would be looking at how much experience of felling very large trees they have.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 08/12/2018 at 08:51, Rough Hewn said:

Can anyone actually confirm what nptc301 (cs32) limitations are?
Is it 760 or unlimited.
I've heard and read many conflicting opinions.
IMG_3108.jpg

There is no upper limit, the qual is simply "Felling and processing trees over 380mm".  That said, the responsibility of the employer is to ensure that an individual is "adequately  trained", and letting a newbie loose on a 'kin big tree the day after they completed their CS32 assessment is likely to fall short of this requirement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/12/2018 at 21:01, The avantgardener said:

There is no upper limit on CS32, that’s one of the reasons they removed CS33. The trees can be up to twice the guide bar, usually with a 15-18” bar in training, once you know the techniques, bigger trees just need a bigger saw/guide bar.

what was CS33 felling large trees over 760mm is still there, its nptc level 3 unit 313 fell and crown breakdown of trees over 760mm, i was having the same thing out with a FISA guy a few months back as i was lead to believe it was no longer but it is its just been worded different so you cant find it and it dont say how big the tree is untill you go on the acessment quertiun page on the link, but its like many things in life, if they left things alone we would all no where we are, but some knob thought they would try and fuck us all up by changing all the unit numbers and there trying to make the industry safer ??????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stuart Phillips said:

There is no upper limit, the qual is simply "Felling and processing trees over 380mm".  That said, the responsibility of the employer is to ensure that an individual is "adequately  trained", and letting a newbie loose on a 'kin big tree the day after they completed their CS32 assessment is likely to fall short of this requirement. 

whats NPTC level 3 unit 313 for then felling and crown break down of large trees over 760mm for then, ?

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 2