ECHO 361WES and 390ESX quick review

wyk

The 390 is basically a small 501sx chassis. It is a standard magnesium case. The 361 is a clam shell design - mostly due to size constraints. The 361 design is easier and cheaper to make, but it does have more plastic on it. But what some folks seem to overlook is plastics can take impact rather well vs magnesium if it's designed to do so(like the helmets we wear). The 390 is maybe more robust. I dunno, neither saw has had chassis issues yet, so can't really say. It's all about what you want. Nothing has broke on either saw.

I almost prefer the 390 because the fluid caps are standard sized. The ones on the 361 are a bit small for my tastes. Having said it, I think the 361 is quite a bit lighter than the 390, maybe by nearly 2 lbs. The 361 revs more readily, but the 390 pulls stronger by quite a bit. I suspect Echo really advances the timing on that 390 a fair bit with it's CDi ignition.

The 390 also is a sexy bitch. So there's that ;)

• Like 2

So without pandering to clichés too much, 390 - 'pro saw', 361- 'homeowner saw'?

That having been said, I tend not to abuse stuff and weight is a factor so with the 390 I may just be spending unnecessarily.

Was hoping I could be certain enough to purchase unseen, but with these two both seeming like a good option, plus the new 3510es, that seems increasingly unlikely.

Anyway, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I wouldn't say that. Both hold up well to pro use.

Clamshell doesn't mean homeowner, it means clamshell.

Most McCullochs were clam shell designs.

My 7-10 was a clamshell as was my 800:

140543541.ZqbSWRr4.jpg

141300580.hZpu4ZZs.jpg

As was my Echo 330EVL:

155364250.ZdFSjFjl.jpg

Edited by wyk
  • Like 2

I wouldn't say that. Both hold up well to pro use.
Clamshell doesn't mean homeowner, it means clamshell.
Most McCullochs were clam shell designs.

My 7-10 was a clamshell as was my 800:

140543541.ZqbSWRr4.jpg

141300580.hZpu4ZZs.jpg

As was my Echo 330EVL:

155364250.ZdFSjFjl.jpg

Some fine old classics there. Always enjoy watching old buckin billy rays ‘pepped’ up mcCullochs. Nice old saws.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stere said:

Does the echo X thing mean anything design wise with regard to the echo saws?

The pro stuff has X's?

WWW.ECHO-TOOLS.CO.UK

It does characteristics wise. X series mark only tools for professional use that have one or more best in class features (i.e. power or weight or torque or ratio of them, or cutting performance etc. Or the combination of those).

In other words - all X series are pro units but not all pro units are X.

This is one of the problems of running your mouth on line - folks will think you actually know what you're talking about ;)

I haven't handled a 362, but I am sure they are nearly the same as a 361. Or, at the very least, only one spot different?

They have the same power and weight ratings, tho.

Here are ECHO's product guides between the two

https://cms-yamab.sdch.develondigital.com/uploads/product/catalogue/5cb93a67c10f90379108ff51/YNPN-18-0604E_CS-362WES_EU_ST2.pdf

http://www.countax.biz/imagestore/marketing_bulletins/20151110_ECH_MarketingBulletin_CS-361WES.pdf