Stick with HC or switch to ZZ?

Gnarlyoak

3 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

If I'm not mistaken, Zigzag are bringing out an add so you can use it SRT..    a consideration perhaps...

Think its a slightly different version, but I may be wrong, think it was different around the swivel area ie the gold plates

1 minute ago, htb said:

Think its a slightly different version, but I may be wrong, think it was different around the swivel area ie the gold plates

I'm only going off what I remember on another thread on the subject, but someone suggested it was backwards compatable...  No idea if it is, but if a rope wrench fits it as is, I'm sure zigzag would makes their new one fit the old zigzag.    I mean lets have it right, it wouldn't be hard..

Zigzag is best on 11.5 mm ropes but ive run one on a 13mm rope with a pulley saver with little issues.

Zz mk3 can be run with a rope wrench for srt no issues either although its not rated for srt(by petzl) but it works well.

Another little trick with the zz is it can be run srt on its own whilst choggin down a stem,heres how.

Take the spliced eye of the top carabiner on the zz,tie a bowline with a long tail on your rope around the stem,tail length depends on how big the sections your are knockin off are, once a section is knocked off unclip flipline,and decend on zz srt style,tie in with flipline again on the stem,retreive bowline by flicking the long tail ,start again.

No more spiking down stems.

Really handy on stems that catch your flipline/lanyard

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think you’ll regret your ZZ decision. I was a stalwart user of the VT since it was first introduced to tree work (thank you Liam from Treevolution) and have tried so many different ‘alternatives’ since, but the Zigzag, whilst not perfect, gives you such a fantastic sense of reliability and 100% security compared to the oft fickle VT.
PLUS, I love the fact you can push line down into it as you adjust your position when higher in the canopy .
I’ve yet to find the lack of mid line attachment an issue .
I’ve this lot on here to thank for my own purchase due to their recommendations plus I was lucky enough to borrow one.