Stick with HC or switch to ZZ?

Gnarlyoak

As an oldboy Neanderthal tree climber, I recently progressed up from 14yrs on a prusik to a hitch climber set up earlier this year. Took me a little bit of time to adjust but quite liked the HC attached with a VT knot and in conjunction with a CT foot ascender where appropriate. Also had a "go" on someone else's Zigzag and found that to be a very smooth climb on a big ugly willow, and this had me toying with the idea of progressing again this time to a ZZ climbing set-up at some point in the future when I had a bit of spare cash to play around with.

Gutted this morning to find some scumbag scrotey arsehole had broken into my van overnight and nicked my rope bag with my mainline and all the associated climbing paraphernalia therein contained. So I'm having to fritter away my afternoon browsing online sites to order replacements for the gear that was stolen. Seeing as these set of circumstances have forced my hand I'm having a bit of a mental battle as to whether or not replace like for like HC setup or move on up to the ZZ.

What would you do?

All relative of course, different strokes for different folks 'an all that. But anyone else changed recently, would you go back or do ya love it so much you wonder why it took so long. Was it/is it worth it.  Then there's also the minefield of which rope/dia works best with ZZ. Thoughts & recommendations please.

Edited by Gnarlyoak
Typo

45 minutes ago, htb said:

Steve is that a new version of blue tongue. I climb on blue tongue with hc and also on spiderjack2.1. Done a little with a zigzag but personally prefer spiderjack, maybe would like it more with time.

Moving house next week and anticipating internet down time, so i'm living in the office at the moment making sure I am caught up with everything :)

Also interested in the Zigzag when my 13mm new England is out of date. Just concerned, I love 13mm rope, does 11.7 feel much different when pulling on the hands? Is descent that much faster than a prussik? I was hoping they would have done a ZZ more suited to 13mm rope. Does it seem a pain on small climbs having to pass the whole rope through the ZZ? I normally just use a prussik and add a pulley on larger trees.