Spotting stolen equipment

Jack.P

So for some time now after researching for a few years I've got pretty good theory of where some of the stolen equipment might end up .I reckon that it's sold to certain tool dealers up and down the country with no questions asked (the thieves will ether keep the stuff  a few years  before selling or the dealer will to attempt to make it less obvious that it could be stolen ) .there is one particular seller who ive been looking at for a few years who was even selling some saws that sounded like same ones mentioned on a post on here stolen and not that far from the sellers address and they sold them 4 months after they were stolen ( message sent 4 weeks ago with pics no reply yet).

I don't understand how the dealer could get a constant supply of stihl gear (often little used / as new ) and to be able to sell at no reserve auction .often the stuff doesn't sell for much but sold prices vary why would people sell there climbing saws and professional equipment so cheap?

im thinking of buying a few saws and checking serial numbers with local Stihl dealer as something definitely doesn't add up with this bloke .and the other strange thing they will usually wait a few months in between selling batches of gear .I wonder if they have got a bit stash of stolen stuff in there garage and slowly off loading it .....

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You are sorely mistaken. Can I ask you how many fences you've dealt with?

Of course I could be wrong but it seems to be this way from what I've seen .I've only been watching the guys online activity for a few years .I am little unsure if buying his stuff through ebay is a good idea as he will have my details from ebay so might even be an open invitation to also steal my stuff .as mentioned would be intrested in seeing if serial numbers traceable or any further clues 

Stolen property generally finds its way into some kind of central holding house, where it sits a while and then makes its way to some other part of the country to be sold at car boot sales, door to door, or online. You only have to google news articles about recovered stolen tools to see that every year the police uncover another "Alladin's Cave" full of loot. The ebay seller is probably not the holder, more likely one of the distributers. It would make sense that the guys who steal the gear probably cant be arsed to sell it again, too much like work, you see, so they pass it on up that chain. All over the country there are barns full of gear, waiting to be sold off..

• Like 2

Just seen that the guy in question  is now advertising he wants to buy tools ladders etc .

it would be intresting though to see what he would offer for the sort of tools he's selling probably very little little so why would people sell there  genuine stuff to him so cheaply the whole thing doesn't make sense.they would probably get double the amount  selling themselves .looking at the feedback as well looks as though they've sold around 300 Stihl saws ,hedge cutters etc in the last 5 years which seems a lot im intrested to know where they all came from 

Edited by Jack.P

25 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Just seen that the guy in question  is now advertising he wants to buy tools ladders etc .

it would be intresting though to see what he would offer for the sort of tools he's selling probably very little little so why would people sell there  genuine stuff to him so cheaply the whole thing doesn't make sense.they would probably get double the amount  selling themselves .looking at the feedback as well looks as though they've sold around 300 Stihl saws ,hedge cutters etc in the last 5 years which seems a lot im intrested to know where they all came from 

Have you got a link Inspector Clouseau?

Is he a dealer?

Edited by eggsarascal