Ash Borer (Not Emerald)

JonnyRFT

Can someone help me here. I worked on a dead/dying ash and the crown was incredibly brittle. The crown had small holes and bore lines beneath the bark. Evidence points close to EAB but the holes are more rounded plus the bore tunnels don’t include secretion.

It was really infested.

My knowledge is limited on this type of thing. Can anyone help?

1B1DA915-A1B1-4C7F-92D7-30B0E28BAFE1.jpeg

D17C53CD-32D6-4BFC-985B-506F0AA40008.jpeg

872C4AF4-8520-4329-B596-98FD32016928.jpeg

Just now, Gary Prentice said:

Can't help on the borer, but ash generally isn't very durable once dead and gets colonised by fungi that starts to to reduce its integrity. It's nothing at all like dead oak or elm and hence the concerns with owners not removing Chalara infected ash promptly. 

Cheers Gary, it was still in leaf in the summer but there was serious decline 80%. The stem was uneffected and still had plenty of structural integrity. My initial thought was Chalara but this tree was different from the others that I’ve seen with die back.

Just now, Gary Prentice said:

After posting, I thought that you were a lot more experienced and my post may have been condescending. 

I'd rather climb a dead elm ( even 10 yr dead) than a newly dead ash, they just go so bad so quick.

No not at all bud. I didn’t find it condescending. I genuinely appreciated your reply. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EdwardC said:

I almost want to berate you for sending me a 100 page document. But what I’ve read so far is interesting. I will endeavour to finish it tonight. Cheers Edward.

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

After posting, I thought that you were a lot more experienced and my post may have been condescending. 

I'd rather climb a dead elm ( even 10 yr dead) than a newly dead ash, they just go so bad so quick.

Never stopped you when it's me .......?

1 hour ago, EdwardC said:

Evidence seems to point to Hylesinus Fraxini going by that document. Thanks again for this, very good reading so far.

4 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

That's the one. The direction of the galleries is a good clue. The egg galleries run horizontally, as in the first photo, with the larval galleries running vertically.

Is this pretty common then? This is the first time in 6 years that I’ve noticed it.