AJStrees

I have started listing trees on the Ancient Tree Inventory and went to an Ancient Tree Forum event recently on Hampstead Heath. Anyone out there done a veteran tree management course or some such? I am located in the South East so hoping to find somewhere that does this around here. 

I think veteran or ancient tree conservation is becoming or has already become a major concern. I would like to get more involved in this area. If anyone wants to post pictures of ancient trees and their whereabouts on this forum, then please do. If I may be so bold. I have attached photos of a veteran Common Beech (Fagus Sylvatica) at Hampstead Heath woods. Not ancient but nice and old. 

I think it is important to bring up public awareness on this subject so that we can keep our most valued trees in tact for hundreds of years or more. There is a lot of technology out there being used to ensure some of our most valued trees do continue to live long and prosper. 

P1170474 (1111x1480).jpg

P1170473 (1111x1480).jpg

Have you looked at the Vetcert standards? The training material and programs are still in development but looking like it will be available next from year.

https://vetcert.eu/standards-certificates

Yeah that’s a nice example that beech, G. australe is pretty rife below and above the graft but it’s hanging in there. We have plans to reduce the sail.

Did you peel off from the walk at the end and go and find it afterwards?

Bit too far off from the route of the walk to include on the day, there was a lot to pack in.

Yes it was a great day and very interesting stuff. I hope to get some things like that occurring on the Estate I work at, with the hope to improve the tree population and improve the veteran trees we have. 

Some fantastic trees up there on the heath. 

We arrived by train and GPS took us through the back of the woods first so I saw this on my way to the meeting at 11am. I was already impressed by then. 

I have started looking at the vetcert videos and papers. Will continue to study those. If one of the veteran tree management days comes along, I will surely attend.