Chain oil alternatives???

Boggle4137

Imagine a lump of flapjack, dipped in araldite and left to bond to your chainsaw - that is bio oil that is! I have had to grind the stuff off the fins of cylinders with a 4mm drill before now - a right bar steward of a job!

If you don't mind wrecking a good saw over a period of time, carry on with the oil!

• Thanks 1

husqvarna manual says gear oil, ep80, if chain oil not available....so when clearing out dad's garage and I found 3 litres, in the saw it went.  I forgot how gear oil stinks of sulphur until...eeuuk!.  Ive also used up some left over 15 wt40 engine oil (mixed 50/50 with chain oil) with no ill effects.  If the viscosity is about right, and its not a drying oil, it will work fine, but any non veg oil  is a pollutant.  veg oils are drying, but many, like rape and sunflower, take a long long long long time and are likely to go rancid first. 

9 hours ago, spudulike said:

Imagine a lump of flapjack, dipped in araldite and left to bond to your chainsaw - that is bio oil that is! I have had to grind the stuff off the fins of cylinders with a 4mm drill before now - a right bar steward of a job!

If you don't mind wrecking a good saw over a period of time, carry on with the oil!

You still have that thing about flapjacks then... ?

Lidl or Aldi rapeseed oil is all I've used for several years, it works fine, the Canadian forestry coission did a massive study on it and they say it's OK. On my 20" and 25" no problem, but I have a high output oil pump (ms441) on the 28" I do get dry bar, I still use it but you really have to monitor the bar, keep the oil holes clean and slow rev between cuts to get the whole thing lubed again. I would say go for regular if using a long bar. 

Edited by Haironyourchest