Two rope technique on a fir tree

WildClimbing

Hi all

I use a two rope technique (one primary, one safety) for filming work.

I need to install an anchor on a fir tree. Looking at this:

https://www.abaris.co.uk/prod/anchor-strops/Lyon-7mm-Stainless-Steel-Anchor-Strop.htm

Not sure how this can be installed safely however without the risk of it sliding down because there is no 'V' shape to hook it over.

Any advice?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

You will be better off using one of these and double wrap it.  It will bite against the stem if set right.

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/stein-cambium-saver-with-isc-aluminium-rings/

Thanks. I am installing a platform onto the side of the tree, and when I am on that not all of my tension will be on the rope. Does this mean that the anchor would then slip down?

I'll be in the tree for 8 hours at a time.

Edited by WildClimbing

Just now, Steve Bullman said:

Can you please explain what rope system/technique you will be using 

Hard to describe the name as it is a custom technique developed for the film industry I believe. But essential we run two ropes over a V shape in a tree, and anchor them to a near by tree. Then we climb up the two ropes.

However, I need to get up a fir tree that doesn't have a natural V shape in the branches so need to somehow anchor onto it whilst still able to have a primary and secondary rope.

15 minutes ago, WildClimbing said:

Hard to describe the name as it is a custom technique developed for the film industry I believe. But essential we run two ropes over a V shape in a tree, and anchor them to a near by tree. Then we climb up the two ropes.

However, I need to get up a fir tree that doesn't have a natural V shape in the branches so need to somehow anchor onto it whilst still able to have a primary and secondary rope.

Hire a local climber for help , maybe you can both learn something from each other.

12 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

Sounds like the film crew technique is home made.
If you are planning on doing work in trees, simply do your tree climbing and rescue ticket.
It’s a simple enough course and you will learn how simple it is with the right kit and training.

No, we have two ropes because one is the primary to climb and then we have a second as a redundancy. Because we have to be able to "forget" we are on ropes and focus totally on filming. So if you do make a blunder and a crucial mistake, like leaving something unclipped for example, we are caught by the duck on a second rope.