Two rope technique on a fir tree

WildClimbing

I have worked with a couple of film crews and both used IRATA Rope Access techniques to get into the trees to film. However both used a single rope to ascend.  What is the second rope for? A backup?

What is the species of tree you are trying to climb? What is it's branching habit? Do you have any pictures that would help us assist you?

Is sounds like You climb SRT with a second line in as back up.
All you need to do is put in a false anchor on the main stem wherever you need it. A single Lyon tape sling of a suitable length placed around the tree and then through itself will do the trick. Put a Mallion or karabina on the sling to run your ropes through and you are good to go.
Question is how are you going to get up the tree in the first place?
Do you normally use a throw line to get your ropes through your v shaped anchor?

1 hour ago, Boo Who? said:

Is sounds like You climb SRT with a second line in as back up.
All you need to do is put in a false anchor on the main stem wherever you need it. A single Lyon tape sling of a suitable length placed around the tree and then through itself will do the trick. Put a Mallion or karabina on the sling to run your ropes through and you are good to go.
Question is how are you going to get up the tree in the first place?
Do you normally use a throw line to get your ropes through your v shaped anchor?

Are these sufficient? https://www.abaris.co.uk/prod/anchor-strops/Lyon-25mm-Nylon-Polyamide-Sewn-Sling.htm

I will will use a friction hitch trained arborist to install the anchor point. My worry is leaving it overnight for weeks and will it fall down. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

that will be plenty strong enough.  And no it won't fall down if its set correctly

Trick will be getting just the right length of sling to go round the trunk twice then girth hitch.  That won't be going anywhere in a hurry

Or you could just use a suitable bit of rope to tie an anchor ring to the tree?

• Like 1

Strangely there’s a thread on another site about the dangers of leaving lines in a tree for a period of time. 

Talk of rodent damage and the like.

This is a very good point - I’d leave a rope in over night but don’t think I’d leave it any length of time. I’d want to reassess the tree and chosen anchor point as part of the climb.
Especially as i guess the OP may be trying to get footage of squirrels!
Also you are enticing other people to hurt themselves by leaving ropes in a tree as people can’t keep their hands to themselves - that or it will all go walk abouts.
Retrieved my rope and left a throw line up through my cambium saver overnight on a dismantle along a quite field boundary footpath - next morning returned to find the cambium save still in place but the bit of string and throwbag had been nicked, so had to go all the way back up anyways!
  • Like 1