Green mould on my kiln dried crates !?

11 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

did you split that log with the green mould growing on it and do a moisyure test on it ? i bet moisture was above 30% ?

Well, I did but the starnge thing is that humidity meter just shows 18% in the outer circle where the green mould is growning. And in the middle of the log is only 14%...hmmm

Anyway I have put the stock outside in an double ended barn and hopefully the wind will stop any further mould from developing.

6 hours ago, Sophia81 said:

Well, I did but the starnge thing is that humidity meter just shows 18% in the outer circle where the green mould is growning. And in the middle of the log is only 14%...hmmm

Anyway I have put the stock outside in an double ended barn and hopefully the wind will stop any further mould from developing.

the sap wood where the mould is when fresh felled will be a higher moisture content than the heart wood and even tho KILN dryed it is still higher on the outside but sub 20%, i would not of thought it would of grown the mould on at 18% i have had it on larch and scotts pine but never seen it on any hardwood before,

6 hours ago, Sophia81 said:

When they were delivered were they wrapped in industrial cling film ? That traps any moisture and will promote that kind of mold on the surface ..  14% in the middle is pretty good I would say . You may find if you put them in the barn they take up the ambient moisture that is in the air at this time of year .

5 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

the sap wood where the mould is when fresh felled will be a higher moisture content than the heart wood and even tho KILN dryed it is still higher on the outside but sub 20%, i would not of thought it would of grown the mould on at 18% i have had it on larch and scotts pine but never seen it on any hardwood before,

One one possible explanation.... the original poster must live in the west of Scotland.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sophia81 said:

In all seriousness in a building with poor ventilation mould can grow on almost any wood.  When you get a few days of cold damp weather it can be a killer.  Look at the underside of the roof sheets in the morning after a cold night - I bet they will be dripping.

• Like 1

I keep my kiln dried in a dutch barn,  one closed long side and three open sides.   Never have a mould issue,

Think about this,  putting a log in a kiln it dries from the outside in,  frequently I see kiln dried half burnt logs that are dry on the outside and wet in the middle.  But this log is wetter on the outside than the center !,   I am thinking it may not have been in a kiln at all. .  

As someone else said, name the supplier.  I use Saurida,  excellent product,  but costly.

A

4 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

I keep my kiln dried in a dutch barn,  one closed long side and three open sides.   Never have a mould issue,

Think about this,  putting a log in a kiln it dries from the outside in,  frequently I see kiln dried half burnt logs that are dry on the outside and wet in the middle.  But this log is wetter on the outside than the center !,   I am thinking it may not have been in a kiln at all. .  

As someone else said, name the supplier.  I use Saurida,  excellent product,  but costly.

A

I think the mould is attracted to the nutrients in the sapwood.  The readings the OP quoted suggest it has been killed.