Green mould on my kiln dried crates !?

Hi Guys,

A while ago I was in this forum asking if kiln dried oak could be too dry...Ironically some of our beautiful kiln dried crates has started to develop green mould on the logs (see photo!), I'm devastated as I can not sell crates to clients like this!

I think it started when some bulilders wanted to be nice and air-proofed one side of the barn where we are storing the crates. The barn is still open one side, however I made them take away the panels they set up to get the airflow again. 

I know the kiln dried wood would equalise and regain humidity but I didn't expect it to start mould!!!

I have put the worst affected crates outside in a "2 side fully opened" barn (still protected from the rain...

I have started to brush the crates but afraid the spores will contaminate other crates...and I can't start brushing every log in the stacked crates neither....

Is there anything that can stop the mould from developing more?

Know I have looked into more storage solutions and have seen the kiln dried wood is best to place inside...in a warm place? Don't have that available I'm afraid... so hopefully somebody can give me advise. Maybe you know an old trick based on vinegar I can spray the crates with?

Please let me know if you have an idea! 

Many Thanks!! 

20181120_100850.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

Agreed, I'm getting arb waste (small quantities for home use) and my logs only did this outside in wet weather before I split them into rounds.  They had the same pattern as well (mostly just under the bark) that I guessed was because this was the sap wood so wettest.  I'm guessing that these logs are still wet under the bark.

More likely higher sugar in the sapwood .

This is the same as what I have seen when logs were heated, not dried, and allowed to cool. Whether the heating killed off microbes in the log and allowed fresh spores to develop or the heating stimulated the spores I never did decide.

We has a similar thing when we spread some pasteurised food waste on a field, the whole field went furry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/11/2018 at 10:24, Sophia81 said:

Thanks for your replies. I will do the humidity test. If wood is wet, I will have to bring it up with the supplier... Thanks again

did you split that log with the green mould growing on it and do a moisyure test on it ? i bet moisture was above 30% ?