The who can get most outraged at bad treework thread.

Mick Dempsey

46 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I don’t see why it’s such an impossible task to collate a database of species with reaction to pruning cross referencing that against age of tree, season pruning is to take place, likely vitality, possible time frames for re inspection etcetera? 

Most of it is well known to anyone in the business for a few years.

Look at the fungi database on here, done by the Hump in his spare time iirc.

I guess the danger is that even with the 'master data base of tree pruning know how' (if one ever gets created I want it to be called that btw), there are always exceptions to the rule. It varies so much, on their position, exposure, immediate environment, soil etc. At which point the operator who actually needs this guide in order to do half decent tree work will probably end up spanking some ancient perfectly retrenched Oak thinking 'well it's only 15m high eh? Can't be that old'

Personally I think there ought to be a requirement for education, and if you don't have any formal education you shouldn't be doing tree work. I know there are plenty of folks who know their stuff without an HNC, and others doing crap work despite the qualifications, but it would be a good start.

Anyway, no pics but I was on a job today where another firm had done a good ol' topping of a perfectly formed copper beech, leaving the one on the other side of the garden with a large compression fork be. Crying shame.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I guess the danger is that even with the 'master data base of tree pruning know how' (if one ever gets created I want it to be called that btw), there are always exceptions to the rule. It varies so much, on their position, exposure, immediate environment, soil etc. 

Of course, it would be a guide, much as Steve Bullman describes the BS thingy.

But this would be of some tangible use to a newby.

I think it is abt time something is done abt the ignorance / don't care view. A well pruned tree going from a sorry state to pleasant form n health Should be the aim, but as we all know most won't pay fr that so I will shut up now. K

4 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I think it is abt time something is done abt the ignorance / don't care view. A well pruned tree going from a sorry state to pleasant form n health Should be the aim, but as we all know most won't pay fr that so I will shut up now. K

Who’s ignorance/don’t care view?

21 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Who’s ignorance/don’t care view?

What gets me is all the 'tree people' too tired to do the practical work. They are usually the ones who have read several hundred square metres of text and come to the conclusion that Arbrex won't protect pruning wounds from pathogen ingress. This is because they are 'up with' current thinking in tree biology and it makes them feel intelligent to regurgitate the received wisdom.

20 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

What gets me is all the 'tree people' too tired to do the practical work. They are usually the ones who have read several hundred square metres of text and come to the conclusion that Arbrex won't protect pruning wounds from pathogen ingress. This is because they are 'up with' current thinking in tree biology and it makes them feel intelligent to regurgitate the received wisdom.

Arbrex was crap to use thirty years, has something changed?

20 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Tbh, I just say that there’s no point using it cos it’ll be a pita painting cuts, I suspect a view shared by many.

I think a lot of it is due to experience on the species and time of pruning.

After doing it for years, I can look back at different trees I've reduced and see how they have responded.

Some look bad, some look really bad, and some are dead.

You just can't get experience like that overnight.

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Tbh, I just say that there’s no point using it cos it’ll be a pita painting cuts, I suspect a view shared by many.

It would revitalise Arbtalk,  all the discussions for the best way to get it off hands, clothes, ropes and other equipment - keep us going for years :thumbup1: