The who can get most outraged at bad treework thread.

Mick Dempsey

What gets me is I got bollocking fr pruning like that in my early days. We had NPTC man round fr a pruning 'refresher'. He says " give it a good crown lift, tuck the sides in where they stick out n just tickle the top down ( silky)" which usually gives least reaction growth. Dempsey yr an animal ? k

Why is it called “reaction growth”? It’s just regrowth, a bit like “panic regrowth” another nonsense.

If I had to critique that work I’d say he/she made the mistake of falling between two stools.

The operative tried to do the old “always go back to growth point” as would be the right thing to do on mature oaks and beech amongst others, and continuing what looks like an already instigated pollard cycle, a perfectly fine method for maintaining (especially) street planes and limes. 

This fudging is due to poor advice from professional bodies such as the AA who set pointless and unachievable standards regardless of species and context.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

25 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

This fudging is due to poor advice from professional bodies such as the AA who set pointless and unachievable standards regardless of species and context.

Good evening 'Mr Dempsey'...that hurt! o.O

We advocate pruning to BS3998 as the norm but wholly accept that often 'the spec' comes first, as would appear to be the case here. I know you've often been cynical when I've been advocating 'THE' British Standard but surely it's healthy to have a balanced debate then people can make their own decisions what to do.

Paul

PS Believe or not I was "with you" here as, whilst not BS3998 pruning, it could be the start of a pollard regime. 

Sorry Paul!

Comes with the territory I guess.

I see loads of pics on social media of “poor work” and sure, a good bit of it is grim.

One in particular I even joined in on.

Countless comments lampooning a very short back and sides on a large goat willow in a small garden.

Usual stuff, but not one person mentioned the species, and when I raised it was told that it was “not exactly best practice though is it?”

How can Bs3998 be relevant to a back garden goat willow and a large beech like treevolution just posted?

If you (the AA) started illustrating different pruning regimes for different species I believe it would be held in higher regard, more like a knowledgeable boss who you learn from rather than a pseudo-government body with pie in the sky diktats.

Just debating Paul, no offence intended.?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Good evening 'Mr Dempsey'...that hurt! o.O

We advocate pruning to BS3998 as the norm but wholly accept that often 'the spec' comes first, as would appear to be the case here. I know you've often been cynical when I've been advocating 'THE' British Standard but surely it's healthy to have a balanced debate then people can make their own decisions what to do.

Paul

PS Believe or not I was "with you" here as, whilst not BS3998 pruning, it could be the start of a pollard regime. 

Mate, there ain't no spec on these jobs. Clueless cutting to a contract price. K

This is a good tree which would be of value in an urban treescape . Pruning it to meet Highways spec then easing it from the commercial property would have been quicker and better fr tree health. Now yr left with dead ends. Tree stressed so more likelihood of decay. Reaction growth with weak unions and higher cost to tax payer. K

Edited by Khriss
Could have pruned it better with 2 belts thru a 0.50 calibre Browning!

haha...none taken :thumbup1:

I think the word 'context,' as you described comes to mind with your Goat Willow n Beech trees.

Tbh, albeit some time ago now, we did initiate a project, a photographic guide, of "how" different pruning operations may be applied / look on different tree species...and by differing amounts (percentages etc...shhhh.) Unfortunately it rather fell flat on its face quite quickly as it was realized how much work was involved and how much time it would likely take :/.  

In practice, "the day job" at the Association takes up more than my allotted time and we hope that members (and non-members potentially) and 'working groups' will lead and produce stuff like this facilitated, and assisted, by us...so if you've ever got a coupla hours spare.

as it cites in the Foreword - BS3998 is to be applied by experts in any given situation as it's sets out broad principles...AND it challenges said experts to be able to justify any deviation from said principles (perhaps interpreted as they can't / won't be applied in all situations.)

Wish I had the 'intellect' to suitably respond to your comment about being a 'pseudo governing body' and 'diktats'...other than the fact we don't see ourselves that way at all, well maybe just a little ;) 

Cheers Mick,

Paul