Firewood cleaners

SbTVF

Drying firewood and then moving it again tends to create a lot of rubbish when bark/splinters/sawdust fall off the logs and end up in your customers bag of logs.

We already use a brash separator at the end of the conveyor when processing but the only way we can store enough to see the season through is to tip it into dry storage loose then bag up loader bucket as demand requires.

Does anybody use the trommel style cleaner made by palax/hakki pilke or the other style that they do along with posch also?

I don’t want to end with complaints and I’d rather reuse it ourselves in the boiler than it go to waste when customers don’t want to use it.

Drying firewood and then moving it again tends to create a lot of rubbish when bark/splinters/sawdust fall off the logs and end up in your customers bag of logs.

We already use a brash separator at the end of the conveyor when processing but the only way we can store enough to see the season through is to tip it into dry storage loose then bag up loader bucket as demand requires.

Does anybody use the trommel style cleaner made by palax/hakki pilke or the other style that they do along with posch also?

I don’t want to end with complaints and I’d rather reuse it ourselves in the boiler than it go to waste when customers don’t want to use it.

I have a similar situation, i keep thinking there has to be a better way !

A decent size rotary drum trommel will give you the perfect product. There are quite a few advertised second hand or you could convert something, however this usually costs more that expected unless you have the time, skills and energy to do it yourself.

A large infeed hopper you could load with the loader is what you have in mind of course. Good luck.

Edited by arboriculturist

2242bafeede8b829fdee0cdf33571b20.jpg
62af69a6b2b60f0443e385c378547bfe.jpg

Bodged this up today just to see what happened and I was very pleasantly surprised!
A dumpy bag of dust and smashed bark from 10cube of bagged logs.

It could easily be refined, however the bigger pieces of bark will still end up in the bag but it’s still a vastly cleaner product at the end I guess.

Been selling the dross above as kindling this year for the first time.... I had to explain to the customers it all natural kindling and not re processed wood (some looked a bit odd at me the first time they ordered)..... now I am running out of the stuff... I use a big black hpusehold bin and a sieve (with a wobble motor attached) and the dust/dirt goes back onto my land and the chunks and splinters go to customers.... 

Just now, Taff855 said:

Been selling the dross above as kindling this year for the first time.... I had to explain to the customers it all natural kindling and not re processed wood (some looked a bit odd at me the first time they ordered)..... now I am running out of the stuff...

I use a big black household bin and a sieve (with a wobble motor attached) and the dust/dirt goes back onto my land and the chunks and splinters go to customers.... 

I let the pile build over last winter then spent a couple of days loading the sieve in the summer..... it cleared the whole pile in a couple of days then the bits got put into a builders sack they then get stacked away in the woodshed....

Ok so i process straight to vented bag, then when ready tip bag into pick up and then handball off to deliver, not ideal but it separates the scratchings and then i ask if they have a carrier bag or box for the small bits and they generally seem more interested in those, not one person has complained and they all seem to like it, downside is i have to unload by hand and i also sell less kindling, two carrier bags is usually contained in the load, it’s just that from a process viewpoint it’s got to be better to have just logs in the load, if i do manage to get a good system for the right price it would allow it to be scaled up but then i would need a tipper !