Dawn Redwood gummed up your saws?!

Sambo

Hi all! 

Anyone else found that their saws have got badly fouled up by wet sticky saw chips when cutting dawn redwood?! I cut one down on Saturday and when I went to clean my saws today they were full of pasty, goopy mess. My 461 had jammed solid! I'd be interested to hear any similar experiences!

Maybe Dawn doesn't want you cutting her trees.

If it's anything like California Redwood...

They can both be full of sap. You'd want a high output oiler and a large discharge clutch cover, and maybe skip chain, if you are going to be burying your bar deep into it. Sometimes it's nice and clean and dry, other times it's a terrible mess. Be lucky.

Coastal Redwood here(in California)

141300580.hZpu4ZZs.jpg

Edited by wyk
  • Thanks 1

On 18/11/2018 at 21:55, Sambo said:

Hi all! 

Anyone else found that their saws have got badly fouled up by wet sticky saw chips when cutting dawn redwood?! I cut one down on Saturday and when I went to clean my saws today they were full of pasty, goopy mess. My 461 had jammed solid! I'd be interested to hear any similar experiences!

douglas fir,not a very big one,saws n rope still got sap stains.

If you're going to stick yer bar in to sumfin goopy, uh, there's a couple things you can do first. Take a small amount of your oil and smear it on the front of your chassis. I usually don't bother as general use will eventually wear that sap off anyways. Set the oiler to max. When you are cutting, often pull the bar a bit free and rev it to make sure it is getting more oil and sloughing off sap(you will see American cutters doing this when they cut sappy wood, they aren't just revving for fun).  You could also use skip chain if it's gonna be a habit of yours to cut goop up. After you're done with the tree, bury your bar in a few pieces of clean wood if it's available. Clean your saw aSAP when done(see what I did there).

BTW, Dawn( Metasequoia ), Coastal Redwood( Sequoia sempervirens ), and Giant Sequoia( Sequoiadendron giganteum ) are the three redwood trees classified under sequoiadae one can encounter.  I have heard it called Wllingtonia here in Ireland and the UK. In Oregon and California I only would hear 'coastal' or 'sequoia' or 'redwood'. It was obvious which Redwood one was speaking of as coastal actually usually only does grow near the coast. Here's a pic of a some coast redwoods I took while I drove from California to Oregon one day:

128532867.cYxs9XrL.jpg

Edited by wyk
  • Like 1

BTW that pic is from Humbolt county if I recall. Here's a vid if ya got some time to watch during yer lunch, going through the county amongst the redwoods. Many of those trees are about 10 foot+ DBH right there at the side of the road:

Edited by wyk