Arb Body

WesD

Just bought a new van and wondering how everyone has gone on with converting a normal tipper body to an arb body? 

Im definitely hands on and up for fabricating something myself but looking at different options. Ali boards, steel frame and sheet etc etc 

Also after some good suppliers of materials at competitive prices too. 

Thanks guys. 

just in the process of doing this again myself

in the past I've built a box (light steel framework with an ali or sheet steel roof, headboard and sides but obviously no bottom) that sits inside the existing tipper body, retaining the existing drop sides and tail gate, so that I can remove if needed or when it comes time to sell the vehicle. and can be built off the vehicle if it needs to be used while building.

this time its a lwb Iveco with steel drop downs, but they seem very heavy to keep on there.

so this time I had decided I was going to replace the uprights on each corner with some meaty box/ rectangular box steel, then fit ali plank sides using antiluce fasteners so that I can remove a whole side for loading with the skidsteer…

but now I'm thinking that with the length of the bed (nearly 11 ft., I think) the sides might bow out if loaded (or overloaded) with logs, if you've got the space the tendency is to fill it - and with a box that size....

so I'm back to the old idea of a drop in box, but i'll probably replace the drop down sides with ali plank ones anyway just to help retain the box in place,

I'm just waiting on the local steel place to come back with a quote for the bits, which I've asked them to cut roughly to size, then hopefully it'll just be a case of welding it all together.

49 minutes ago, Dean O said:

just in the process of doing this again myself

in the past I've built a box (light steel framework with an ali or sheet steel roof, headboard and sides but obviously no bottom) that sits inside the existing tipper body, retaining the existing drop sides and tail gate, so that I can remove if needed or when it comes time to sell the vehicle. and can be built off the vehicle if it needs to be used while building.

this time its a lwb Iveco with steel drop downs, but they seem very heavy to keep on there.

so this time I had decided I was going to replace the uprights on each corner with some meaty box/ rectangular box steel, then fit ali plank sides using antiluce fasteners so that I can remove a whole side for loading with the skidsteer…

but now I'm thinking that with the length of the bed (nearly 11 ft., I think) the sides might bow out if loaded (or overloaded) with logs, if you've got the space the tendency is to fill it - and with a box that size....

so I'm back to the old idea of a drop in box, but i'll probably replace the drop down sides with ali plank ones anyway just to help retain the box in place,

I'm just waiting on the local steel place to come back with a quote for the bits, which I've asked them to cut roughly to size, then hopefully it'll just be a case of welding it all together.

Keep me posted I’m thinking along the same lines and undecided, my bed is 10’6 6,9

IMG_1861.jpg
They were a bit floppy actually so ive braced it together with some 20mm steel tube from top and a thin 5mm ali composite signage sheet on top for lid which cost 6£ from recycling place as they are expensive otherwise but yea so far been great.
Corner joints are not great but does the job.
If you do it measure carefully if you want perfect joints.best of luck

• Like 1