Safe loads

Johnherbert

8 minutes ago, Wonky said:

was was there an accident “your honour difflock”   ??   

No, I was travelling with him to a GWOA Club meet in the UK.

He insisted on driving, and having sussed my political(in an Ulster or Irish context) affilations, revealed the reason why, basically he did not trust most/all non RUC trained drivers.

The stuff he observed and commented as he drove seriously impressed me, and the "load secured by its own weight  .  .  ." quote was one such observation.

He also regarded "the Law" as being more in the nature of guidance in respect of speed limits etc etc.

But was extremely circumspect while driving through Nth Wales (20 odd year ago)

mth

30 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I haven't sold logs for 8 years, back then I never covered anything until I was loaded one day when I was going to deliver after a days shooting. The shoot had quite a few coppers/ex coppers on it and one mentioned that they should really be covered. I had a heavy duty sheet made to cover the loose logs.

I think the term is “bounce”.... so a net would secure it bouncing out on the road.. and like I said what the eyes don’t see it’s ok.  Your problem was   Rusty coloured pennies type peeps seen you parked and knowing you will drive and recommend the best they know, I can’t see it so it’s ok....??

11 minutes ago, Wonky said:

I think the term is “bounce”.... so a net would secure it bouncing out on the road.. and like I said what the eyes don’t see it’s ok.  Your problem was   Rusty coloured pennies type peeps seen you parked and knowing you will drive and recommend the best they know, I can’t see it so it’s ok....??

I'm pretty sure he was advising me rather than having a pop, and to be fair it meant I could put a load on the truck the afternoon before delivering the next morning, saving a 3 mile journey to the yard.

1 hour ago, difflock said:

But was extremely circumspect while driving through Nth Wales (20 odd year ago)

mth

That place is a nightmare..   been done twice there.. this year for parking on a grass verge in the middle of nowhere and first time a few years back for no seat belt..  I swear if they know your from England they slaver at the mouth to give you a ticket for something, anything.

• Like 1

I have always put a strap over log bags but I never strap soil bags on, waste of time imo as they aren't coming off the side, the only place they can go is forward in an accident and as it's loose and don't really settle well in the bags a strap won't stop them, in fact it just makes the soil come over the sides of the bags, it will stop when it hits the crane anyway :)

Edited by scraggs

I agree, if he advised, then ,that’s “if there was a problem”, you would be at fault.

its what I’ve been saying if they can’t see, and then there is no problem. There is no problem.....?

i could go into a mini digger on a flat bed trailer only secured with a strap that broke when the vehicle rear ended another vehicle. That was an insecure load your honour..and he got done for it (easy conviction) but that’s where I’ve been coming from all along. The end result was they use two straps now.  Somthing to do with weight of item and stopping/crash/quickly max load..and no head board.. if it was still on the trailer not a problem..but it was on the road ?

The OP is my brothers pickup. Stopped by traffic police at willerby near hull. £100 fine dished out and a telling off. However on been told he needed the bag strapped down my brother asked if it also needed a cargo nett over the top to be told that wasnt necessary just a strap to hold it in place as in the event of a accident it would hold the bag in the back of the truck. Our kid didnt bother pointing out that a strap would hold the bag in but the logs would probably still leave. Think he was more worried about them noticing the brake light he had out. The trailer was all fine. Caged ifor with a cube loose in the bottom and two bags sat on top of it. Neither bag protruding the cages was acceptable.

They wouldnt let him leave till he either strapped it down or emptied the bag down to below the sides of the pickup. So he filled the passenger sea footwell and the back seats up with logs and was on his way.

Lesson learnt straps now been used. Might even buy a cargo net.

• Like 1

Yeh, if those straps were able to withstand x amount of force then I guess ok, but if a 7t digger was carried and had to stop el-quicko. That be asking a lot from some webbing straps. 

There is prolly a min requirement breaking strain for the weight of digger being carried.  But I dunno what it is, and like I said if it can be seen and it’s an easy ticket,  that’s there job to do just that...

ohh my my.. things have changed since I was a fork truck driver.

i just looked into some things and what a can of worms..if you want to waste time/lose some time have a read (there’s a few pages on transportation of logs and lots of funny math equations in this link

https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/30c7c1dc-f26e-44af-bd4c-2434b43edd7e

and this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/load-securing-vehicle-operator-guidance/load-securing-vehicle-operator-guidance#steel-machinery-and-plant

I could say it’s not a problem till it is, but there again maybe good to know so you don’t drop yourself in a big pile of poo.?

wish it never derailed into this ???