Bit of artificial grass - if you like that sort of thing

forestboy1978

10 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

It is clearly what the customer wants, but personally I can't stand a garden so sterile and featureless and "new out of a box" looking.  A garden is of course a place to relax and for the kids to play, but surely a little understanding that it is a piece of earth and a tiny slice of nature is healthy?

To be fair, is is any worse than a garden being paved over?  Well at least a paved garden won't ever cause plastic pollution!

It’s laziness that’s all it is it’s a nice looking garden all year round with minimal maintenance and as for paving eventually it’ll need pressure washed / cracked pointing replaced ect all costs money because physical labour is frowned upon now and DIY isn’t fashion if you want something done you have to pay someone to do it and yeah they know we lay it in schools / nursery’s most people want it now 

Jack

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peds said:

Do they know what the effects of microplastic pollution are specifically on male fertility and sperm motility, and are they still happy to have the young lad playing on it, driving his trucks up and down it, tearing up countless thousands of airborn microplastic particles and breathing them all in, lodging deep within his lungs?

Did they know about that? 

I didn’t know about that 😂😂 you must really not like this grass ehh? What’s your thoughts on carrier bags?

Jack

Apparently we all ingest microplastic when we drink tea made using tea bags.  I find the headline figure difficult to swallow (sorry couldn't resist that) but I don't buy tea bags any more.  We also breathe in plastic in our houses every day which I guess is largely produced from the plastic clothes we wear.

Microplastics in drinking water do not appear to pose a health risk at current levels, research suggests.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Apparently we all ingest microplastic when we drink tea made using tea bags.  I find the headline figure difficult to swallow (sorry couldn't resist that) but I don't buy tea bags any more.  We also breathe in plastic in our houses every day which I guess is largely produced from the plastic clothes we wear.

Microplastics in drinking water do not appear to pose a health risk at current levels, research suggests.

So does this clear me of man slaughter? I know the plastic shit is good for nothing and the more that gets laid the less potential work I’ll have in the future regarding garden maintenance but it’s in demand and it pays well and if I’m not laying it someone else will do the way i see it is it is what it is it’s no good for the environment but what is? Every thing you do has some sort of repercussion In some form also you can never please everyone 

Jack

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

So does this clear me of man slaughter? I know the plastic shit is good for nothing and the more that gets laid the less potential work I’ll have in the future regarding garden maintenance but it’s in demand and it pays well and if I’m not laying it someone else will do the way i see it is it is what it is it’s no good for the environment but what is? Every thing you do has some sort of repercussion In some form also you can never please everyone 

Jack

That's right Jack, I don't like it but that's no reason to turn down well paid work and I'll include tennis courts, swimming pools and most hard landscaping in that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Jack

As you say if you don't fit it someone else will. 

I think it will give you plenty of future work - after a few years it starts to get scruffy, and of course they will need someone to remove moss, repair damage, or when the house is sold the new owners will remodel the garden.

• Like 1

Do they know what the effects of microplastic pollution are specifically on male fertility and sperm motility, and are they still happy to have the young lad playing on it, driving his trucks up and down it, tearing up countless thousands of airborn microplastic particles and breathing them all in, lodging deep within his lungs?

Did they know about that? 
It's concerning but ultimately quite depressing as well, it's ubiquitous these days. How far do you go to try and rid yourself of the rank, (but very useful stuff)?
Thinking about the soft toys that my young son surrounds himself in bed with every night; if we were to get rid of all the plastic I reckon he'd be left with just one or two, out of the twenty or so, that are made of wool or cotton. Similar situation with the rest of the toys strewn all over the house, most are plastic bar a few wooden jigsaws and stainless pots and pans. And cloths, a lot are made of fleece .........
I did turn him an oak mallet the other day, that's currently favourite. Result!

6 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

As you say if you don't fit it someone else will. 

I think it will give you plenty of future work - after a few years it starts to get scruffy, and of course they will need someone to remove moss, repair damage, or when the house is sold the new owners will remodel the garden.

It’ll never happen because if it goes mossy or as you say starts to go scruffy the customer will blame the installer or they’ll go to the manufacturer and the manufacturer will pass the blame down to the installer the most common people who we install for now are pensioners who can’t maintain there own gardens but don’t want a concrete jungle they always complain about their local gardener not turning up and what was once a lovely manicured lawn is full of moss and big grass piles where it has been left to grow out of control so they like the greenery there is that many different choices with colours pile heights and feels it’s convenient for a lot of people I don’t like the smell of it when it’s warm and joining it is a absolute pita 

Jack

It is clearly what the customer wants, but personally I can't stand a garden so sterile and featureless and "new out of a box" looking.  A garden is of course a place to relax and for the kids to play, but surely a little understanding that it is a piece of earth and a tiny slice of nature is healthy?

To be fair, is is any worse than a garden being paved over?  Well at least a paved garden won't ever cause plastic pollution!
Completely agree;- it just looks sterile and unnatural. No disrespect meant to Jack, it's obviously good quality work to fulfil the desires of the customer, just not to my taste. I've done a bit of hard landscaping in the past so know that it's a good earner.

I think that a lot of people these days want to make their gardens into "outdoor rooms". Thereby taming and pushing out dirty, untidy nature as far as possible. Probably driven to a large extent by the desire to minimise maintenance and hence labour, as has already been said on here.

The concept is all arse about face to me. A garden is your own personal bit of outdoor space, into which to entice as much nature as possible. Though it also needs to work for it's living, by providing you with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. As a keen gardener I'd have to confess to being somewhat biased ..........
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1