Gaff out supremo

billpierce

Not got a vast amount of experience.  Only ever owned two sets of gaffs,  but they don't look too bad to me. You may want a good point on a dead elm or something similar that's gone like concrete. Tend to agree with tree fancier. Good technique is key

16 hours ago, shillo said:

Definitely blunt! Not sure if its all in my head but i feel it makes a lot of difference when they are needle sharp.

I got a little steel sharpening template with mine.

....as blunt as my arse ! Suprise you didn't chin yrself as well :/ k

I have found (as have two others who work with me) that Buckingham steel irons are much less prone to gaffing out than the Gecko carbon ones I have eventually changes to. This applies to both my own Gecko carbon ones, and a pair a lad working for me had.

I have found I just have to make a more conscious effort to drive the gaffs in, but Iu would not dream of going back to the Buckingham ones, as the carbon ones with velcro straps top and bottom are so much more comfortable and stay in place. No more of the steel shank trying to move in relation to your calf.

Snap!

Switched from steel Buckingham's earlier this year for Distel Gecko's and immediately began experiencing frequent gaff outs when I first started using them. So bad early doors that I actually began to think I must of got a faulty pair!!!

Persevered with them though as despite this nagging irritation they were soooooo much more comfier to wear than the old Bucky's that I'd been using for over 10 yrs.

After using them for the last 3 months, I do find that I still gaff out on most climbs but the issue is far less severe than when I first started using them, so I do think that climbing technique is part of the issue.

No sharpening guide included in my set like there is with Buckingham's, but I have given them a slight tickle with a flat file. Don't think your supposed to file the two outward facing sides, I just run a file on the side facing your instep, the side with the slight kink in the top. Place the spike in a vice, and hold a flat file in both hands draw it up firmly from the bottom to the tip in one smooth stroke, allowing it to follow the "bent" profile. Repeat for as many times as necessary to achieve the result you desire. But as others have mentioned it doesn't have to uber sharp and pointy to the point where if you miss the tree you end up shagging your boots and stabbing your foot therein!!

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Could it just be that the carbon ones weigh considerably lees than the old steel ones  so need a firmer stab to spike in ?

No, I don’t see that Stubs, it’s the weight of the climber.

My Distels seem to gaff out when I’m closer to the tree, moving around as opposed to standard spiking up a trunk/ringing down.

As I said maybe the angle is slightly more acute.

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No, I don’t see that Stubs, it’s the weight of the climber.

My Distels seem to gaff out when I’m closer to the tree, moving around as opposed to standard spiking up a trunk/ringing down.

As I said maybe the angle is slightly more acute.

Ok . ?

I sold them to Bill ...never gaffed out once with them ..had carbon geckos before no problem..you said you hadn't sharpened your kliens in 10 yrs and they're still sharper ? ????
Nah didn't say mine are sharper! Just that I don't gaff out in them and they aren't sharp. Or that's what I meant anyways.