Unauthorised tree work in CA.

jfc

42 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

There is some serious absence of moral fibre being demonstrated here. 

We dont get to “choose” which laws we “agree with.” It’s part and parcel of enjoying the liberties of a free society - there are certain inferred responsibilities. 

Which laws that are broken are suitable to report to the appropriate authorities? Theft? Arson? Murder? All OK?

Speeding? Drink driving? Shoplifting?  Planning? Not OK??

Living in fear of retribution? Christ alive, you’d be a prisoner in your own living room. 

Its the law breakers that should live in constant fear of discovery, not the good citizen - heaven help us! ?

Rubbish in this instance. It's a minor infringement which probably won't get prosecuted so not worth the rancour, we're not talking about a robbery or assault.

It begs the question, what's the smallest infringement which anyone has stood up in court and addressed the magistrates with?

And did the magistrates raise an eyebrow about it? 

And what fine was imposed? (if any). 

I'll start the ball rolling: storm damaged Italian cypress and a topped Norway maple in a CA, on a site with outline planning permission where the developer got a bit ahead of themselves. No eyebrows raised. £4500. 

Edited by Adam M

it seems to me if her neighbour gets in trouble about the CA birch it will be obvious to the neighbour that the person who reported it was the tree woman up the road, as CA tree law isnt common knowledge. Some people do turn nasty and have a long memory. It doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that your van/car could be scratched  with a key, or similar retaliation for dobbing them in , even a year or more down the line. You may feel it's worth the risk to nail your colours to the mast; personally I live in constant fear of other people and would rather keep my mouth shut
[emoji886]
BTW I ain't a lady/woman, name is Jan pronounced Yan (Scandinavian name). [emoji12]
Still not sure what to do, I spoke to them at the time so no anonymity if I report it. I live in a village so don't fancy the fallout.
  • Like 1

Too late to report it now, if you spoke to them about it, they will know if was you. Anything reported should done without telling anyone else, unless you are actually engaged in open enmity with the party and don't care. And anyway, citizens shouldn't report other citizens to the government for small things, its not good to encourage a dob-in culture, it leads to backstabbing bitchiness and smallness of spirit. For serious crimes (drunk driving, etc) then yes, you have a duty to report. But be real about it, was the loss of the tree really a crime against the environment or whatever? I'm a cowboy who breaks the rules, by the way. And I have to work to live, I get nothing from the state and don't feel entitled to anything, except being left alone to earn my wages. Market forces don't care about my feelings or yours...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Rubbish in this instance. It's a minor infringement which probably won't get prosecuted so not worth the rancour, we're not talking about a robbery or assault.

Agreed, on the one hand, it's not the great train robbery.  But conversely, "we" as those that should know better ought to hold ourselves to a higher standard.  

Perhaps you'd have a stab at the previous question - not withstanding the clear exam answer of what is and what isn't lawful is quite obvious, where on the scale of offences would YOU feel compelled to take overt action (even if there was a potential of flash-back)?

Speeding - Y/N?

Benefit fraud - Y/N?

Tax avoidance - Y/N?

Theft - Y/N?

Assault - Y/N?

FGM - Y/N?

Murder - Y/N?

Child abuse - Y/N?

Of course I recognise there is a fine balance in the reality of life, it's just that I see it as one of those things where it's no good bashing your gums down the pub if you don't have the kahoonas to do what you know to be right because it might have a negative come back for yourself.

Of course it's not the end of the world, but it does have direct implications for so many of the other common threads in this forum.   For example,  wages (and professionalism) will always stay low if poor practitioners and ill informed customers are content to low-ball the prices of the diligent. 

How are those poor practitioners or ill informed customers going to change their behaviours if this type of activity is seen, and perpetuated, as trivial or "not my concern?"

It's good to talk about it, I wouldn't think any less of anyone for standing by their own opinion and I'd hope the same might be reciprocated.  

Personally, I'd have no problem spending 2 minutes sending an email if it were in my manor and I'd have no problem if someone got the hump about it telling them they are a f*cking chancer since they, and I, both know which of us is taking the piss.  

• Like 2