Blade guide options for homebuilt mill....

thebyres

On 18/12/2018 at 20:52, trigger_andy said:

Super impressive! Do you think you'll attain the accuracy of a Wood-Mizer or Norwood? 

Probably not but as it's just a hobby rather than for a business as long as I can slab the occasional log without too much drama I'll be happy with it.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2018 at 22:35, astra25 said:

It's coming along always like to see homemade mills as they all differ so much but all do the same job. What motor you having?

I was going to buy a new Chinese honda gx clone but then a genuine twin gx620 came up on eBay so I got that instead. 20 genuine HP even 2nd hand will be more useful than a clones 10 or so hopefully.

IMG_20181125_135448.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thebyres said:

I was going to buy a new Chinese honda gx clone but then a genuine twin gx620 came up on eBay so I got that instead. 20 genuine HP even 2nd hand will be more useful than a clones 10 or so hopefully.

IMG_20181125_135448.jpg

Thats a lovely motor! 

What cant will you be able to cut with this? Looking forward to seeing it progress. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

he sells the plans which are very details and has lists of suppliers which i purchased and i had big ideas about building one with my fabricator friends but the project never got off the ground. Mainly because of time and it seem either i dont know where to look or there is a lot more individual parts for building anything available in America than there is in the UK.

I had a friend look at this and he was concerned about the rise and fall and lack of play in the head. I struggled to find the band wheels and other simple components like acme screws, sprockets , key way shafts, idling shafts bearing blocks etc etc
It is still a long term plan to build this, any body with ideas about where to source any of the components above would be much appreciated.

Whilst I appreciate the company is based in the States it would still be far cheaper to buy their products and pay for the shipping than it would be to get a one-off bespoke piece made for you. You could always buy the machinery such as a milling machine and spark eroder etc and make the bits yourself.

You could then offset the cost of the machinery by offering to make and sell bandsaw parts to self builders such as yourself.

Edited by Mike Dempsey