Getting rid of the body

Stuart Picken

Hey folks. Killed a bigish sycamore the other day. I'm wondering what to do with the big union at the top of the stem. All the rest has gone into firewood, but I'm wondering if theres something more fun to do with this?

So, 4ish legs coming of (I can't remember). There must surely be interesting grain patterns and stuff where it joins, I've just no idea which bits to use. 

I've a range of saws, and angle grinder. 

The problem is drying, right? Presumably if I cut horizontally across the bowl, it'll split apart as it dries? But if I take sections down through the limbs, into the trunk? Cutting down through each limb, so youve just the heart and reactionary wood, then making something like a bowl?

The stuff is just going to sit and rot in the corner of a garden woodland, so I'm up for experiments, but I don't want to waste my time. So advice is appreciated!

Once I've cut sections out, I rough out the product, leave to dry, then finish? 

Thanks folks. Here's some photos, maybe they'll make my rambling make sense.

Stu

Ps. Branch bowl is something like meter wideIMG_20181116_104508397.thumb.jpg.d14f2763a5f73bcb12023a9e5347a3ab.jpgIMG_20181116_110019567.thumb.jpg.f0bc63b82f88c5ac57c4dbfcea8838af.jpg