Foot ascenders

Mark Bolam

My CT foot ascender is pretty tired now, and I wonder if there are better options out there now?

I never got on with the Pantin on SRT because of kick-out, but mine never had a catch.

Has anyone used the ISC Stryder as well as the CT for a comparison?

The Camp Turbo looks good, but you can't lock it.

Ideally I'd like something that you don't have to weight the rope with for the initial steps, but which doesn't kick out.

A problem I experience sometimes is my chainsaw keks bunching above the ascender, meaning the rope can't glide through it properly and it drags the trailing rope up.

Anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it? Trousers are Stretch Airs (which are tatty now and soon to be replaced with some Gladiator Vents).

Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

My CT foot ascender is pretty tired now, and I wonder if there are better options out there now?

I never got on with the Pantin on SRT because of kick-out, but mine never had a catch.

Has anyone used the ISC Stryder as well as the CT for a comparison?

The Camp Turbo looks good, but you can't lock it.

Ideally I'd like something that you don't have to weight the rope with for the initial steps, but which doesn't kick out.

A problem I experience sometimes is my chainsaw keks bunching above the ascender, meaning the rope can't glide through it properly and it drags the trailing rope up.

Anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it? Trousers are Stretch Airs (which are tatty now and soon to be replaced with some Gladiator Vents).

Thanks.

Have you seen the new one by Notch.

Tree stuff are taking pre orders but I'm sure it will be released soon here.

Has a part that guides the rope into the ascender from the top and works with two cams.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/11/2018 at 10:09, treevolution said:

Have you seen the new one by Notch.

Tree stuff are taking pre orders but I'm sure it will be released soon here.

Has a part that guides the rope into the ascender from the top and works with two cams.

Cheers for the heads-up mate.

How on earth did you wear out the CT...?

You don't climb these days. ;)

I reckon your just a kit junky, all the gear and that jazz!

I bet your harness looks like a chrimbo tree leading up to this festive period.

I work with a guy who is getting on a bit and lent me his foot ascender the other day.  Old school, mint condition Petzl.  I felt like I had found the holy grail!