Wanted-Bandsaw Mill

trigger_andy

7 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers for all the advice guys, sometimes you just need a shove in the right direction. I was as I've said dreading doing it with an Alaskan. Anyway spoke to Chris today at woodlands UK and pretty much made my mind up on what direction to go, only question left is 130 or 126 with the 14hp option. Chances are the 126 would do all I ever need. He mentioned the 130 is being slightly heavier/tougher built ??? Anyone here had hands on with both and willing to offer any input ?

I was also wondering if there are any members on here around the Aberdeenshire area with either the 125/130 set up, be handy to see one up and running with some hrs on it etc 

Most of these little bandsaw mills benefit from having a secondary bed underneath the rails that they are supplied with. Something your local smithy can make up for you.

7 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers for all the advice guys, sometimes you just need a shove in the right direction. I was as I've said dreading doing it with an Alaskan. Anyway spoke to Chris today at woodlands UK and pretty much made my mind up on what direction to go, only question left is 130 or 126 with the 14hp option. Chances are the 126 would do all I ever need. He mentioned the 130 is being slightly heavier/tougher built ??? Anyone here had hands on with both and willing to offer any input ?

I was also wondering if there are any members on here around the Aberdeenshire area with either the 125/130 set up, be handy to see one up and running with some hrs on it etc 

From looking at pictures on-line the 130 does look more heavy duty. I know the Chassis on the Sawhead is now Galvanized too. Plus it has the sliding Band Guide and Electric Start as standard now, maybe on the 126 too if you'd get the 14 horse?

If you'd only ever use the 126 then maybe get that? But personally if I could afford it Id get as big as I could, you never know what Logs might come your way.

As mentioned Ive got the Logosol but feel free to swing past if you're every venturing south and have a nosey. It arrived yesterday but its been damaged in transit so Im in limbo if I can even start building the bed as it looks to me it will need replaced.

If you have access to 3 phase power, I'd recommend the little manual Trak met sawmills. They are much, much more heavily built than anything else at that price point, but the 3 phase supply issues are the main hurdle. A diesel 3ph generator will be much cheaper to run than a petrol v twin in the long term though.

• Like 1

Looking at generators on eBay, you'll get one that'll run the little Trak met mill for about £1200. Worth considering as you'll save £10-20 per sawmilling day in fuel and it's very much more pleasant to use an electric mill with the power source a little way away (no fumes or noise).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Big J said:

If you have access to 3 phase power, I'd recommend the little manual Trak met sawmills. They are much, much more heavily built than anything else at that price point, but the 3 phase supply issues are the main hurdle. A diesel 3ph generator will be much cheaper to run than a petrol v twin in the long term though.

Hi Yeah it is something I've considered but I think for now the convenience of having the petrol motor and the amount of use planned would outweigh any advantages of running 3 phase etc. There are some good mills out in Poland at reasonable prices, couple of engineers on boat I work on are polish and they were helping me out when seeing what was out there. There was what seemed a copy of a woodmizer with hydraulics etc 3 phase at very decent money ??.  

Just now, Johnsond said:

Hi Yeah it is something I've considered but I think for now the convenience of having the petrol motor and the amount of use planned would outweigh any advantages of running 3 phase etc. There are some good mills out in Poland at reasonable prices, couple of engineers on boat I work on are polish and they were helping me out when seeing what was out there. There was what seemed a copy of a woodmizer with hydraulics etc 3 phase at very decent money ??.  

I had a TTS800 standard mill when I was in Scotland (until July). 10.5m length capacity, 1.4m diameter capacity, 1.1m cut. Full hydraulics and about half the price of an Woodmizer LT40.

10 hours ago, Big J said:

Most of these little bandsaw mills benefit from having a secondary bed underneath the rails that they are supplied with. Something your local smithy can make up for you.

My woodland mills 126 has got a second frame beneath it, certainly makes it more solid and easier to level. I could also potentially pick it up with my roof mount and move it on my low loader trailer if I needed to take it to a job 

EAB399A0-58A2-418E-92EA-B15F3813F4BB.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

My woodland mills 126 has got a second frame beneath it, certainly makes it more solid and easier to level. I could also potentially pick it up with my roof mount and move it on my low loader trailer if I needed to take it to a job 

EAB399A0-58A2-418E-92EA-B15F3813F4BB.jpeg

Did you make that yourself or have it made? If you had it made how much did you pay?