Tractor spot lights / work lights.... go for LED??

swinny

Currently have an issue with my tractor spotlights. Both front and back are on the same 25amp fuse supply. 

They are the old style halogen lights 55 whatt bulbs. Very good lights to

be fair.

If both are on together for more than a few minutes it pops the fuse!

Might be an earth problem but all

looks ok.

Was considerig changing the lights over to LED. 

Anyone know much about the led lights? Are they any cop? Do they give out a good beam for distance aswell?

Are they avaliable like for like comparison to the current halogen lights?

many thanks

Can get equivalent wattage led to halogen swinny yeah, some cheaper ones can give poor visibility (really weird type of light, bit dazzling) but middle of the row to dearer led’s tend to have better patterns and are a good light with less dazzle for you and others. Would recommend these days yeah, earlier days gone by when led’s were just coming out they were less reliable and expensive, but they’re quite reasonable now really.

LEDs are better in pretty much every way now - brightness, power use and reliability - so I would definitely go with them. Only issue is they can be too bright /dazzling if you look at them but that's fine for work lights if you're in the cab.

We've got the optional LED package on our tractor and while it's overkill (ex demo) it will easily light an entire field.

Just to add, LED lights should cause less issues with fuses to as they only use a fraction of the power. 

That also means you could technically replace a 50w halogen with a 300w+ Led [emoji6]

It takes approx 0.6volts to light an LED.... i’ll let you do the maths, i’m shite at it ?

on the back of that Kubota at each corner 1 9 LED 27watt & 1 16 LED 48watt it lights the whole wood up nearly when forwarding out at night and just put 2 16 LED 48watt on the front and there ample, much better than the original head lights. that are like a brass button up a cats arse, them 16 LED lights work out about £7 or 8 each some been on about 5 yrs now ok odd LED gone but i am saving up to get some more to replace them but when they will get fitted, i dont know as time is the big issue at the moment,

20180907_140943 (1).jpg

20180919_161258.jpg

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 2

I fitted LED's on the front and rear last year, just make sure to fit new plug and sockets to ensure everything stays watertight. As a bonus if I ever sell the tractor the old halogen lamps can be refitted in minutes, but it keeps the original tractor wiring harness unmodified.

Picture was from late evening hedge chipping, but the amount of light is amazing and makes mowing grass late into the night much easier than the terrible halogens.

DSC_0313.thumb.JPG.384423b6ac1a43966ec42ca6be4a7c61.JPG

One thing to watch is whether the lights are sold as spot or flood beam (or you can get bars with a mix), and which type you actually need.

Bare in mind a lot of sellers on ebay etc lie about wattage and lumens so you can't rely on the quoted specs.

And no point in having a massive lamp for lighting up just infront of you, it will dazzle and kill your nightvision

I put this light bar on the front and a pair of the square lights on the back. They are completly independent on their own switches, the original lights are all still there but as these are much more powerful and I had them all lying around it didn't seem worth fiddling to try and make the originals work.

And it only cost about £35 for all 3!IMG_20181014_182612.thumb.jpg.da8df100d0b518c5925192c305fc9ba5.jpg

Screenshot_20181116-002258.png

IMG_20181028_162427.jpg