Frontier 5L bar needed

Guineafowl

Hi all,

Many years ago I used this saw for firewood, but the bar was very worn and my local saw shop said they couldn’t get a replacement, before convinving me to buy a new saw.

It got chucked on the scrap pile, and I eventually made a big knife out of the old bar, without taking down the numbers on it (eejit).

I’d like to get it going again, and still have a piece of the tail mount left over for dimensions, and some partial numbers (E88...5560...27). 

Chainsaw collectors corner says Oregon D276, but on the Oregon website this bar looks completely wrong. There are separate oil and tensioner holes, the former behind and the latter in front of the middle of the clamp slot. The oil hole is 5mm and the tensioner hole 2.5mm from the clamp slot.

Can anyone offer any help? It’d be nice to get this old thing going again.

Edited by Guineafowl
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

@Rob D is probably the best man to speak to

It's pretty hard to nail down bars for these older saws - your best bet is to check out the pics of the bar mounts on the Oregon site and then match that up with what think you need for the saw then see if that bar part number still exists.

There is no easy way - Frontier shows up on the Oregon Selector here but not that model number:

http://www.oregonproducts.co.uk/en-gb/parts-lookup/chain-bar-sprocket-selector-guide/selector-guide.html

image.thumb.png.dfc2a8833bd20177f7e8ca441e12ea0f.png

If you have separate oil from the bar mount, it could be a D176(which is a multi mount bar nowadays, as is the 276).

Measure the width of your bar studs. Frontier also made a small saw that used an even smaller mount at one point, the A064, but that oiled through the bar mount.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/14711d8004b6ea7c88256e0c0001ff32/be9970357dbcb17f88256e0e001f67e3?OpenDocument

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

RobD - I’ve been searching for a pdf of the bar mount silhouettes, but no luck so far. The Oregon website lists only sprockets for the Danarm 55, which seems identical to the Frontier 5L.

Wyk - The oil hole is much too high in that one. The next one down...

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/14711d8004b6ea7c88256e0c0001ff32/0dbf85f6a2a9a7c988256e0e001f792a?OpenDocument

...would probably work, but the modern Oregon D276 doesn’t look anything like it. 

I’ll come back with some pics and more measurements. Cheers for now.

P.S. The old bar was 20”, I think. I still have the chain, which is 3/8” and 72 DL.

Edited by Guineafowl

I think the d276 and the d176 may have combined into the modern d276 multi mount. I know the tail on the 276 is meant to be smaller than what ya see in the acres internet image. However, Danarm state their mount for that saw is an Oregon D276 or Windsor TMX. Good luck!

Wyk - nope. I’m the only weirdo trying to run old saws round here.

According to a couple of saw shops in town, the D276 is no longer available.

I found some Oregon 23226 bars on eBay, but in the US. They look like an exact match but the postage makes it not worth it. Apparently the mount fits a McCulloch 10-10.

Eg this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCulloch-610-650-1-10-10-10-OREGON-20-SOILD-TIP-BAR/372391604187?hash=item56b444efdb:g:3wUAAOSwAoFbZmcj

There’s a D276 (Windsor 24TMX58) in the UK for £50, but this is 24” long so it means another chain.

Ah, well. I’ll keep looking.