Is it worth me buying a Lumbermate to use on spruce & ash

AndyChalmers

A friend of mine is selling a Lumbermate 2000 for £3500, its electric start, 30hp engine, 30" cut, 13ft extended bed, trailered, not done much work, left undercover outside.  Hes a gamekeeper and milled his own wood for animal pens, fences etc.  My question is I own a woodland and have plenty of felled Spruce and Ash, not big diameters but some reasonable 12" - 24".  Over the next few years I am building some holiday lodges, building fences, buildings to clad, furnature to make and general timber requirements.  Would it be worth my while in buying a saw and using the timber I have?  any advise welcomed.  

I have a woodlands mill with the same set up,If you have the money available and timber you are going to need free at point of use then its a no-brainer not to buy the saw,I would recommend asking your mate to run you though using it first for a couple of hours to make sure you can operate it.

• Like 1

Also think about what Ash and Spruce are good for.  Neither good for cladding.  Both could be used as construction timber but not where they will get wet.  Really you need something better for cladding.  You can treat Spruce of course but it will look for every opportunity to rot.  Ash will be a bit better.  

Ash is great for interior fit out and furniture but will need drying.

• Like 1

If you have the cash defo buy it you can always buy in saw logs for cladding , and if you keep it in good nic you can always sell it on when done but I bet you don’t milling is addictive , I have been trying to get the money together for a mill but not had a good year , go for it good luck

• Like 1

Thanks for the advise.  I agreed to loan the mill, once I have it setup and running, the seller will run me through it etc.  Sods law the same day I agreed to loan the mill, I sold a artic load of softwood and they took all my large spruce, sighh (loaded when I wasnt there).  All my large ash was taken last week grrr.  Ahh well.  I may as well by the sounds of it try & trade my ash/spruce for some better sizes & breeds.  Or sell mine to pay for more fit for purpose grades.  

If I decided to just waney edge my timber for fences etc.  Is spruce or ash worth treating & what with? ta