Another tree ident please. Sumac?

shillo

This tree could be a species of Cladrastis? Most commonly grown one in this country is Cladrastis kentuckea, but there is also Cladrastis sinensis (American/Chinese Yellow Wood) but then of course the wood would be markedly yellow in colour... Otherwise this one has stumped me and I would have suggested the usual suspects as previous posts.

On 19/11/2018 at 10:34, se7enthdevil said:

stick to any species in the anacardiaceae

the oozing late from the bark is a dead giveaway and the look of the wood is too.

83 genera in that family though so we may never know exactly.

Yep that's where my money is too. let me know when your buddy is coming down and i will get you some of the wood.

• 3 weeks later...

Sophora Japonica or Japanese Pagoda Tree. 

Worked on some in Turkey. Wood looks the same too . Weighs a bloody tonne !!

Second guess would still be Varnish tree though, despite what Farmer Giles says.

From my limited experience with Varnish trees, the sap tends to burn when allowed to sit under direct sunlight .

It has also burnt through t shirts before now.

Also has been known to cause respiratory failure of people chipping it as the sap vaporises almost .

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...