Stihl grease

Sam0207

Hi,

I have just spotted that Stihl sell different types of grease aimed at their brushcutter gearboxes and their hedgetrimnmer gearboxes.  Is this just a marketing ploy?  Are these specific greases of merit or, if things are regularly serviced, is a normal lithium grease every bit as good?

I don't want to waste £20 on two small tubes of grease for no benefit, would appreciate any thoughts.

thank you

My ethos is that any grease is better than no grease. Most gearboxes get knocked out by not greasing - the manufacturers recommendation is every 25 hrs and that isn't a great deal of time.

I personally use a big tin of Lithium based grease rather than spending out silly amounts of money on little tubes of ...........! Regular greasing is the answer and doesn't often get done and remember to do ALL the greasing points including the one on the shaft clamp!

I agree, (for what my opinion is worth)?... any grease is better than none.

but buying silly tubes be comes expensive, well everything in small amount is expensive. Oh and add the stihl premiere price to it, 

if you look at greases, they do have different adhesions/uses, but if your regular then as said before.. better than none. ?

I have had quite a few gearboxes in bits and normally you find various bearings have failed. The HL135 bearings in the shaft clamp section go and the grease takes on a silvery hard compacted composition and the inner races get very loose.

In the trimmer part, the con rod rollers fall out causing issues and you then get the main gear pinion shaft bearings failing - the rollers get caught in the gears and can make bearings fail or gears get damaged. The grease may be grey and hard or just not there as it has been forced out over time.

My thinking is if you are re-greasing regularly, the new grease will tend to shift the old grease about so it doesn't go hard and old.

I would think a yearly pre seasonal service would be a good idea, one where all old grease is purged and new introduced then follow the 25hr or once a week system (if the unit is used daily)  to keep the parts in good shape.

• Like 1