Woodcock .

Stubby

4 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Same as Stubby and Spuddog here, I wouldn’t shoot another.

Beautiful birds.

Does seem early, and it’s still very mild.

Me too!

The poor things are so knackered after their long journey they hardly move out of the way of my truck driven down the farm road at dusk.  It cannot be much of a challenge to shoot them in that condition.  But I have had to draw my own moral line at not shooting things for sport, only for the pot or vermin control.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Billhook said:

But I have had to draw my own moral line at not shooting things for sport, only for the pot or vermin control.

+1

The strange thing is I'm getting offered braces of pheasant gratis because the local shoot don't want them. A casserole is lasting a week for two on alternate days.

Edited by openspaceman

10 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

+1

The strange thing is I'm getting offered braces of pheasant gratis because the local shoot don't want them. A casserole is lasting a week for two on alternate days.

i am sorry its nation wide no one wants pheasants in numbers this year, one shoot paying 20p a brace to get them taken away, another giving them to a smoke house and we have looked in to dressing birds and giving them to a food bank but HSE legistalation says no because of possible lead content so me and my dogs will be sick of pheasant by christmas and i will be looking forward to that turkey for once,

6 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

i am sorry its nation wide no one wants pheasants in numbers this year, one shoot paying 20p a brace to get them taken away, another giving them to a smoke house and we have looked in to dressing birds and giving them to a food bank but HSE legistalation says no because of possible lead content so me and my dogs will be sick of pheasant by christmas and i will be looking forward to that turkey for once,

I am sure that many are buried as the numbers that are shot are so high.

6 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

We’re only a small scale shoot now (pheasant) with 40 brace being a biggish day.

We can take a brace or two whenever we want (10 full guns).

The rest go to a game dealer and we get half back oven ready in individual trays.

Everyone is pretty happy with this deal.

I'd take that every time. The game dealer still collects from the estate Mr's Egg beats on, no idea what the deal is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I am sure that many are buried as the numbers that are shot are so high.

yes proberbly but there are people out there that cant afford much meat and lets face it pheasant is not that much different than chicken depending on how you cook it, and you cant give them birds to these people that would really appriecate them, dont know what othere people do with them but i just get a  pheasant breast open it up lancashire or chedder cheese inside along with some cranberry wrapp in bacon place on tray in oven for 20-25 mins ,fantastic to eat,,

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

We’re only a small scale shoot now (pheasant) with 40 brace being a biggish day.

We can take a brace or two whenever we want (10 full guns).

The rest go to a game dealer and we get half back oven ready in individual trays.

Everyone is pretty happy with this deal.

thats pretty good deal that ,

Bacon’s a must for me when roasting Spuddog, they are so lean they need the extra fat.

I haven’t plucked one for years, I’m a bit idle and wasteful, and prefer them fresh rather than hung.

I normally do the standing on the wings and pulling the legs thing, then dress the breasts only.

Most end up in the slow cooker.

Tough old cocks get curried.

Eggs, you would get curried!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Bacon’s a must for me when roasting Spuddog, they are so lean they need the extra fat.

I haven’t plucked one for years, I’m a bit idle and wasteful, and prefer them fresh rather than hung.

I normally do the standing on the wings and pulling the legs thing, then dress the breasts only.

Most end up in the slow cooker.

Tough old cocks get curried.

Eggs, you would get curried!

Next time Bolam.

• Haha 2