Woodcock .

Stubby

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Personally I would never shoot another Woodcock ever again .  Must have shot , maybe a dozen in my life .  Got some pin feathers somewhere , but is just a beautiful , wild bird . Most coming from Russia and Finland to winter over here . We do have resident birds but how you tell one from another I would not know . 

yes same here i wont shoot another one again unless they get back up in to decent numbers, didnt shoot any last year just let em all go past, some shoots up here have impossed some heafty finds for shooting woodcock one shoot has set it at a grand donated to charity for shooting woodcock and this shoot used to have a couple of just woodcock days 20/25 years ago with 100 bird bags regular but not now.

• Like 3

Correct, as some have already said that some are resident, and some begin a migration to here during late October through November by usually using moonlight and favourable winds for their journey. As they need to use their beaks to get into the soil for food, our winter climate is preferable to where they have come from which can be frozen up over winter.

I used to be a fishing ghillie up here in Scotland and saw resident birds roding (?) during the summer. It appeared to be birds following a flying circuit of their preferred area, or perhaps it was male birds advertising for a mate or ensuring other males didn't trespass. 

30 odd years ago I did a couple of years in the oil industry and it was fairly common at this time of year to see exhausted woodcock and other birds drawn to the platforms lights and taking a rest. You wonder how many get too exhausted due to wind change or just getting lost and falling into the sea.

I don't shoot them either now, although in the past with numerous numbers a left and right was common. Never applied for the tie though.   

The oddest sight I ever saw was a lone stork in Angus Scotland after heavy winds. It flew at an altitude that a heron could only dream of. Another oddity was several thousand pink flamingos in Forfar loch maybe 20 years ago. God knows where they came from!

Edited by Baldbloke
  • Like 1