Army to Arborist!?

JackClarke

Welcome to the outside world... You will find it very different. You will never have the same team/brothers camaraderie  .. I left in 87 from  and have had a couple of great careers and now work for myself in Grounds Maintenance and starting to get into forestry... I think that you will enjoy it being an arborist as being in and office or sales is soul destroying if you are used to being in the thick of it.... But it won't be the same buzz, but  it seems that it will be a much safer options ... 

In Wales we have a program from 'Focus on Forestry First' and it pays 70% of course fees..

It seems that the modern way is that you will have to have loads of qualifications (But they are all short courses) and I find it strange that there doesn't seem to be a 
comprehensive course.

Worth looking into what local training providers there are to you and what work there is locally to you... Otherwise you might have to travel for work and that could mean working away if your into forestry..... But there will alway be tree surgery ... So there is lots of options for you...

Hi Jack,

We are an ELCs approved provider on the Devon/Cornwall border. We train ex-military candidates from all over the UK who come and stay in the area for blocks of training.

Find our ELCs approved training programmes here:

http://lynhertraining.com/elcas/

If you are using ELCs credits then do check that whoever you talk to is ELCs approved (check them out on the ELCs portal).

Just give us a call if you'd like to discuss anything - 01822 832232

• 1 month later...

Hi Jack,

I took the same jump a year ago. Single best decision of my life. As previously mentioned, Kingswood, now trading under TreeHouse, are a really great place to start. The tickets will give you a foot in the door and will show potential employers your serious about the industry (making them more likely to invest in you on further courses later down the line). However bare in mind, you may have 8years serving in the military and the work ethic that goes with it but you are still at square 1 in terms of the new industry. Expect low wages, you are on the same price point as fresh out of college (or even school) guys and girls. I am sure with the skills you bring from military life you'll excel but its something I wasn't expecting. 

Finally, welcome to the dark side. Put your hands in your pockets. Chew gum. Walk on the grass. Enjoy it pal.

Feel free to get in touch if you want any advice or sign posting!

Aj

• Like 1