Spiderjack 2.1 to Spiderjack 3 is it worth the change and easy to adjust?

hamilton32

I currently climb on a Spiderjack 2.1 which I now really enjoy using. Has anyone gone from the 2.1 to the spiderjack 3 and found that the switch is easy and there are benefits worth the price tag?

The locking function interests me, a drawback on the 2.1 is working above your anchor or going out on branches with the rope pulling behind you... 

I'm used to and like the braking system on the 2.1 and want to know if its basically the same on the sj3?

Interested to hear what peoples experiences of it are? #

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2018 at 20:43, hamilton32 said:

I currently climb on a Spiderjack 2.1 which I now really enjoy using. Has anyone gone from the 2.1 to the spiderjack 3 and found that the switch is easy and there are benefits worth the price tag?

The locking function interests me, a drawback on the 2.1 is working above your anchor or going out on branches with the rope pulling behind you... 

I'm used to and like the braking system on the 2.1 and want to know if its basically the same on the sj3?

Interested to hear what peoples experiences of it are? #

Cheers

I have a three and have previously spent quite a bit of time on a 2.1 or whatever it was called. I really liked the 2.1

However the three is better in every way except the size. The smoothness, pulley on the bottom for dropping through forks and feeding line out so someone on the ground can pull heavy stuff to you, locking pin for a variety of things, the built in swivel. The only thing that annoys me in the rubber O ring where the standing carabiner attaches, however I have taken it off twice since I brought it at the APF so clearly not a regular concern. 

After looking I did think the size and bulk would be annoying. I don't find it an issue at all. 

Having the running line closest to you means it feeds through from very low and you will rarely have to tend slack. 

Overall, I think it's great. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonny69 said:

I have a three and have previously spent quite a bit of time on a 2.1 or whatever it was called. I really liked the 2.1

However the three is better in every way except the size. The smoothness, pulley on the bottom for dropping through forks and feeding line out so someone on the ground can pull heavy stuff to you, locking pin for a variety of things, the built in swivel. The only thing that annoys me in the rubber O ring where the standing carabiner attaches, however I have taken it off twice since I brought it at the APF so clearly not a regular concern. 

After looking I did think the size and bulk would be annoying. I don't find it an issue at all. 

Having the running line closest to you means it feeds through from very low and you will rarely have to tend slack. 

Overall, I think it's great. 

Cheers man that's really helpful I think il go for it!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As said, it's better in almost every way except size, but even that isn't noticeable, particularly not once you're climbing.

The tending is amazing, and being able to easily use it right or left handed is a nice improvement. I'd highly recommend it if you liked the 2.1.

My only criticism is that you can't just chuck your rope round a stem without either putting a cambium saver in or putting an extra carabiner in to maintain proper rope line. But I rarely do that anyway so it's not really a big deal I guess.